to Jim Kirk

Re: Its time

STEALING

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi

Premium Member

No, stealing would mean that the original artist no longer has a copy after it's downloaded.

It's copyright infringement. Similar moral situation, but different word.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

STEALING
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

STEALING

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

STEALING..
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I think I'll go infringe one now - just for you!

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Definition of STEAL
c : to take surreptitiously or without permission

I'll use my words the way I see fit, you speak your way.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to graycorgi

to graycorgi
..but words aren't important on the internet! Look at all the poor grammar and outright mistakes and information we see everyday from most sites. Accuracy is optional today.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
STEAL
the wrongful or willful taking of money or property belonging to someone else with intent to deprive the owner of its use or benefit either temporarily or permanently. No particular type of movement or carrying away is required.

Any appreciable change in the location of the property with the necessary willful intent constitutes a stealing whether or not there is any actual removal of it from the owner's premises.

So, that's the LEGAL definition of "steal", just so you know...
So, it's kinda difficult to steal something that doesn't exist unless one steals the disc that contains a movie, it's copyright infringement. Words mean something... Just saying....

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

..but words aren't important on the internet! Look at all the poor grammar and outright mistakes and information we see everyday from most sites. Accuracy is optional today.

Including this site itself.
quote:
The website is now serving up its bevy of copyrighted goods
Uh no they are not, they don't host any of the material, they host the files that tell you who has the material.

Then again this place has been slippin' for quite some time now.
Cthen

Cthen to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

STEALING..

Here is the problem with calling it stealing rather than copyright infringement.

Under theft\stealing the property must be returned to the original owner in the condition it was prior to being stolen along with fines and penalties which get paid to the court, not the owner. Well, in these cases the property never left the owners possession and is still 100% in tact.

Put it under copyright infringement, well now you have a whole new ball game with even more sever penalties and now the owner has an avenue to be able to collect for any damages caused by it. I'm not sure why pirates feel more comfortable with this though.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Did you see my copy and pasted definition from Meriam-Webster? If its in there, my use of the word STEAL is legit. You can go speak English your way as well.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
The term "stealing" does not apply to this, at least not in a legal sense. If you were in a courtroom talking about this as stealing, you would be corrected by lawyers and judges. It is NOT stealing. It is copyright infringement.

Anonymous 1
@109.169.29.x

Anonymous 1 to jjeffeory

Anon

to jjeffeory
Well put my friend
Expand your moderator at work

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

Re: Its time

said by ITALIAN926:

Did you see my copy and pasted definition from Meriam-Webster? If its in there, my use of the word STEAL is legit. You can go speak English your way as well.

So you are saying you would like it under the other way so the owners cannot reclaim what is theirs and cannot recover the damages?

Oh and I'm speaking the english of federal law, not my own lol.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
According to the definition, you cant "steal" Cable services or Electricity for that matter.

Hillarious.

JFK
@comcast.net

JFK to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

So in effect YOU "STOLE" a portion on Meriam-Websters dictionary.
grega711
join:2011-09-21
thailand

1 edit

1 recommendation

grega711

said by grega711:

So people who are STEALING on Torrents and the like, are BUYING from Apple.???? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH KAAAAAAAAAAY.

Whatever you say buddy.

....... Rest of ITAL926 quote edited out here but commented on below.

I promised I'd be back today and answer the rest of your rantings right below my post of · 2012-10-21 02:52:47. (Bottom 1/3 of previous page on my computer). So I'll copy your "reply" below and answer your ranting by interlineation in bold .

You said --

"So people who are STEALING on Torrents and the like, are BUYING from Apple.???? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH KAAAAAAAAAAY."

I never said that. I said pirates are the ones putting pressure on the music/movie companies so that they will allow people like Apple to sell movies/music at lower prices.

And BTW, you never answered my questions about what you do for a living. Are you a cop? A professional do-gooder? Do you work in the movie/music industry? Why are you ignoring that question?

----

Whatever you say buddy.

Huh? I don't think you even read what I said. You certainly didn't reply to any of it.

----

If nobody ever went after original Napster 2001, and shut them down, online retailers wouldn't exist. Oh, they may exist, but they'd be doing 1/50th the business cuz everyone would still be using Napster ! Its the people that were scared to use such methods of STEALING!

Where do you get your numbers, ITAL? In your dreams?

Napster was a drop in the bucket compared file sharing today. The amount of stuff available now *dwarfs* Napster.

But I don't see retailers doing 1/50th of the business they used to do. Do you? And I don't see movie/music companies going out of business. Do you?

I hear a lot of complaining, and I see a lot of mediocre products. But I also see *good* movies like Avatar grossing BILLIONS of dollars.

How can that be? You said that if Napster hadn't been shut down, "they'd be doing 1/50th of the business", right? OK, so let's do the numbers:

Avatar grossed over $2,000,000,000 at the box office only, despite all the copies that might have been pirated. And you say that's only 1/50th of what they could have sold if pirating had been eliminated. So are you saying Avatar could have grossed 50 X $2,000,000,000+ or $100,000,000,000+, ITAL? (That's one hundred billion dollars, BTW.)

Sorry, Pal, but no movie has ever grossed anything near that much. It's a silly number. Just like your estimate above. If Avatar grossed $2,000,000,000+ at the box office, then the pirates didn't hurt it very much. Take another look at my math. Does it make you, maybe, want to rethink your "1/50th" estimate above?

----

Copyright Infringement is STEALING. And before another braindead fool argues my use of the English language, see my quoted definition from Merriam Webster ten posts above. This is an opinion, and I have the right to use words however I see fit. . You dont like it? Tough. You turds are allowed to voice your opinion that its not stealing, in order to cherry-coat, but one day, you may find yourself in court for doing "nothing wrong". You people with sub 70 IQ's continue to argue definitions in order to make it seem as though what you do is legal. Its still against the law !

Guess what? We agree on something. "Copyright infringement is stealing." But I never said it wasn't.

Intellectual property (IP) is a form of property -- intangible property. You can't touch it or weigh it, but it's still a form of property under our laws. An author has IP property rights in what he/she writes, and a movie maker has IP property rights in what he/she produces. Those property rights are defined (in part) and protected by copyright law, and although the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) went a little crazy on the subject, violating somebody else's IP rights is a form of stealing.

We do disagree, however, that I'm a "turd" and that my IQ is sub 70. I'm tempted to say something like, "It takes one to know one", but since I'm not a turd and my IQ is above 70, I won't.

----

It would be soooo simple to play by the rules, but you want to roll the dice, go right ahead. You are the same leaches that buy counterfeit movies, still in theaters,, in subway stations from illegal immigrants. The same leaches that steal/borrow a neighbors wi/fi before paying for your own. The same leaches that bought cable cheater boxes in the analog days. The same losers that blame the banks for allowing you to take out a mortgage $200,000 over your limit causing the whole system to collapse. To this day millions of people are foreclosing on their homes even though they dont have to. They declare bankruptcy just because the house is worth less than they owe ! They say "oh well" and move into an apartment for $2000+ a month . Then theres a new breed of people who stay on unemployment for as long as the laws allow, because starting a new job at the bottom pays the same money. Leaches on Society.

Whew! I'll bet your wife is glad to see you leave in the morning!

Really, you sound like a very angry person. I didn't say anything about any of your ranting in my post, so you weren't replying to my post. But I'll reply to yours --

What do you do, ITAL? Walk around keeping lists of all the people who piss you off? How long since you were last la_d?

Get some help, man. I don't know how you became so angry and self-righteous, but remember that old Beatles song? "And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love, you make."

Passed around much love lately? Try it. You might be surprised at what you get back.

----

The world would be a much better place if people had stronger morals, ethics, and self responsibility.

Like you, right? Mr. Poiffekt?

Haven't you ever driven over the speed limit? Crossed a double line? Parked in a no parking zone? Ignored a parking meter? Passed on the right? Littered? Jaywalked? Smoked in a no smoking zone? Played a game of penny poker with friends? Taken a questionable tax deduction? Torn up a parking ticket from out of town? Had a beer when you were underage? Had a drink after hours in a bar? Broken any other silly little law?

What do you do with your spare time? Go to the library and look up laws so you can be sure to follow them? And then strain your arms patting yourself on the back?

Lighten up, man. Why does it bother you if somebody uses somebody else's wi/fi? Buys a cable cheater box? Pirates a movie? Signs up for too big a mortgage? Offers too big a mortgage? Declares bankruptcy? Collects unemployment?

But wait! Wait! Bankrupcty IS legal. Collecting unemployment IS legal. Offering/signing up for too big a mortgage IS legal. So those guys ARE playing buy the rules. But you're criticizing them, too. First you start off saying it would be soooo simple if everyone played by the rules. Then in the same paragraph you're calling a bunch of people who ARE playing by the rules "Leaches on Society".

So let's see. How can we make ITALIAN026 happy, and avoid his "Leach on Society" label? Well, I guess we all just need to live by the rules as laid (there's that word again) down by ITALIAN926 -- one of the few perfect, ethical, moral, self-responsible, law abiding people around. And if we have any questions, we can just ask you. How does that sound?

I'll bet your friends and neighbors give thanks every Sunday that they have you for an example. (not) Or maybe they just pray you'll move away.

----

Over and Out
You sure are.
« to the other Italian
This is a sub-selection from Its time