Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: Heavy Iron - Dual Cisco 7613 Routers w/ RSP720-3C-10GE

I would have thought they'd use Juniper or a CRS if that were the case imo.

It dosen't look to be very populated for a 13 slot chassis (they do make a 7606 and 7609). The 7609 (720Gbps) also has double the throughput capacity of the 7613 (256Gbps) (at least according to Cisco). This is just semantics and curiosity though, they bought what they bought after all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Maybe they've had slimier experience with juniper as I have. (IE most buggy POS ever, firmware gets corrupt every couple months is seems, and somehow a single device that couldn't be looping back causes a juniper to go into broadcast storm.)

There seem to be some clear design flaws in how juniper devices work.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

There seem to be some clear design flaws in how juniper devices work.

Thats a very broad and generalised statement to make. Juniper is used extensively in SP networks all over the globe, and low and behold the Internet is not melting into a puddle on the floor.

Perhaps you had a bad experience with a piece of kit, but you cant tar all Juniper devices with the same brush.

Ive seen Juniper devices running for years without a single issue. Ive also seen Cisco devices do the same. Funny that...

Juniper is not perfect, and neither is Cisco, or any manufacturer for that matter. They all experience issues and bugs. Regression testing of new firmware versions before pushing to production and proper environments for housing equipment will go far in ensuring you have a stable and reliable network.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

crs are in a niche market -- and they are generally used for a lot of the heavy core switching.
most of your edge/peering is still done with 6500/7600, asr1k, asr9k, or even the 12k (rare -- as these are slowly being phased out of production).
in the juniper world -- you're looking at an mx-box -- like the 80, 240, 480, or 960.

q.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

said by sk1939:

crs are in a niche market -- and they are generally used for a lot of the heavy core switching.
most of your edge/peering is still done with 6500/7600, asr1k, asr9k, or even the 12k (rare -- as these are slowly being phased out of production).
in the juniper world -- you're looking at an mx-box -- like the 80, 240, 480, or 960.

q.

Good to know, thanks tubby. I haven't dealt with much beyond 39XX series devices as far as WAN goes as most of what I find myself dealing with is LAN/Nexus. Do you know what Cisco is going to replace the 12k with? Also, why would they choose the 13 slot chassis over the 9 slot, especially since it's not populated anywhere near capacity in the photos.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by sk1939:

said by tubbynet:

said by sk1939:

q.

Good to know, thanks tubby. I haven't dealt with much beyond 39XX series devices as far as WAN goes as most of what I find myself dealing with is LAN/Nexus. Do you know what Cisco is going to replace the 12k with? Also, why would they choose the 13 slot chassis over the 9 slot, especially since it's not populated anywhere near capacity in the photos.

Same here. I thought the ASR9K and CRS took over from the 12K series, or am I thinking wrong?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

yes.
the 12k is slowly dying -- phased out with the asr9k mostly. the shops that used the 12k at the core couldnt really afford the crs anyway ;-P.
the 12k is a finicky beast with different engine-series linecards and route-processors. i dont claim to know any of it -- but it was the first truly distributed forwarding platform -- and if you worked in the limitations -- it moved packets well.

not sure on the 7613 choice. with the rsp720 -- you get full throughput to the slots as you would in 9 slot.

q.