Did another modem update tonight (must be close to double digits by now, but I'm not keeping an exact count of them).
This one was strange. The insides of the modem were a little different from the others: Same PCB layout, routing, pads, etc. But no RF can around the tuner area, only one electrolytic capacitor populated, instead of the usual four, and no ferrites on the power input.
So a "cut cost" edition of the insides.
After an initial goof by me (clip on wrong pin of chip), we got the modem updated fine, and then I soldered in another large electrolytic capacitor to keep the original one from getting too lonely.
Forgot to get a pic of it though.