spc
Search similar:

uniqs

moon man
@mindspring.com

moon man

Anon

[Modem] old modem

My Earthlink DSL is very slow and I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. I thought I would start by asking if my 10 year old modem could be the problem. It's a ZyXEL P-600.
ATT
Airport Extreme (A1301)
MacBook Pro/iPad/MacPro '06/iPhone 5 (which is MUCH faster than the wi-fi)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by moon man :

It's a ZyXEL P-600.

Which 600? There are a least a half dozen. You have to read the bottom label to obtain the actual Model Number as the front or top only shows the series number.

moon man
@mindspring.com

moon man

Anon

Sorry about that. It's a P-660R- ELNK.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Model Number: P-660R-ELNK

ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.40(AGE.4) | 12/07/2009

This is a much newer and stabler Firmware unless you have already upgraded. See what you have on your Modem and if it isn't dated 2009 or newer then you should upgrade the Firmware.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How to upgrade the Zyxel P-660R-ELNK modem firmware

Longtimeuser
@covad.net

Longtimeuser to moon man

Anon

to moon man
Yes, I have a lot of problems these day. Maybe I need to move to a different company. I have used them over 16 years and did not have any problem until one month ago. Their system must be had changed. I don't think it is the modem.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Longtimeuser :

Yes, I have a lot of problems these day. Maybe I need to move to a different company. I have used them over 16 years and did not have any problem until one month ago.

You should create a new separate topic if you would like diagnostic help.

Note: Moving services is entirely your decision, but be aware that DSL line problems, DSL filter problems, bad/going bad DSL Modem, and/or DSL Interference problems can just follow you even to a new provider.