Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

spkay

join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA
reply to Oregonian

Re: [Troubleshooting] MiFi 4620L Firmware Won't Update

I updated mine to the latest recently (last week) and it went fine. I used my laptop running Win7 x64 and IE9 with no problems. The update went fine (USB cable to laptop) and the update succeeded after running for a couple of minutes. Not sure what your issue might be.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

I don't think that I have tried the USB cable to laptop route for the update. I've been trying to do it OTA. I will give it a try and report back.

spkay

join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA

Maybe just because i'm a software guy i'm more comfortable downloading the full update file and then running a local install. Mine worked fine, when I restarted it was all up to date.

Anon

@comcast.net
reply to spkay

lol what are you talking about? Please make more sense. What firmware are you on? Did you do OTA update? Or did you download the firmware somewhere that we all don't know of and manual updated the mifi?

Anon

@comcast.net
reply to spkay

Btw I'm pretty sure many of us thought of that already...so please stop praising yourself. We are stuck on trying to find the manual firmware file itself hence why we can't fix this problem yet.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
reply to spkay

Where did you find the full update file?

jcharr1

join:2007-05-16
Monterey, LA

Yes, I'd love to know that too. I tried looking for it but never found anything.

jb11464

join:2010-05-30
South Plainfield, NJ
reply to Anon

There is no available executable file from Verizon as of Thursday.
I spoke to Level 2 about sending out a file and installing via usb, but
they said that this was not what they were working on. All I could get from them was that they were working on the OTA problem and
that they do not have an ETA.

Basically they said to ignore the update notice.

I pointed out that during the "update" the green download bar indicated the firmware was being downloaded, but if you monitored the WWAN traffic status before, during, and after the file was supposedly downloaded, you would see that there was no activity - let alone 200Kbps of download traffic.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oregonian

said by Oregonian:

I don't think that I have tried the USB cable to laptop route for the update. I've been trying to do it OTA. I will give it a try and report back.

Well, I tried the USB update route with no success.

I disabled wireless on my laptop and installed the 4620L USB drivers. I then tethered the 4620L to the laptop using USB. All good so far - internet access was still available. I logged into the 4620L and went to software update. As usual, it found the update and then I selected "Install". When the unit rebooted it still shows the old software version and shows that the update failed.

So I am back to waiting on Verizon or Novatel for an update that will work.

pdxsk

@auburnwa.gov

I posted a few weeks ago. Today, I have nine (9) more 4620L's to deploy in my organization. Now, when I try to do OTA update, in the admin pages and 'check for update', nothing comes up. The 3.20.03.01 doesn't show up. Maybe Verizon stopped trying to push it in preparation for a better, functional update?

jcharr1

Monterey, LA

said by pdxsk :

I posted a few weeks ago. Today, I have nine (9) more 4620L's to deploy in my organization. Now, when I try to do OTA update, in the admin pages and 'check for update', nothing comes up. The 3.20.03.01 doesn't show up. Maybe Verizon stopped trying to push it in preparation for a better, functional update?

The strange thing is I've noticed that the update has stopped showing up on one of our mifis but it still shows up on the other one.

jcharr1

Monterey, LA

Actually I have to take that back. Now neither of them are showing the update.

pdxsk

@auburnwa.gov

We're doing about 40 of these 4620L Mifi's at my company. I've been watching closely since my first post weeks ago. Last week, the update did show up...this week it does not.

I see Verizon still has the instructions on how to update to the 3.20.03.01 here: »support.verizonwireless.com/syst···20l.html if you look at the "Software update instructions", you'll see them mention that firmware version exactly.

jb11464

South Plainfield, NJ

As an FYI, Novatel level 2 support said update will be out by month end, and the new version will be 3.20.03.10

Anon

@comcast.net
reply to pdxsk

Isn't that just the same exact thing we're all doing? OTA update basically?

jb11464

South Plainfield, NJ

yup. They are combining the original .01 upgrade which has the
problem, along with the upgrade which was to follow, hence the .10 version.

Holbrook

@embarqhsd.net

All good information that gives me hope. Neither Verizon nor Novatel support has even acknowledged my e-mail questions about port forwarding. They didn't happen to mention whether the extra .09 version points include a fix for that, did they?