share rss forum feed

me

join:2002-12-08
Iapetus

Need some workflow help - HDV to DVD

Equpment:
Sony HDV with HDMI out
PC: i7-2600k at 4.5GHz
HDMI Capture card (Blackmagic intensity Pro)
Video card Radeon 6870
Professional Audio mixer (has USB out)

Software:
vMix - is a software switcher. I will eventually use multi cams. Currently I will use it to stream/record from the camera and audio mixer.
Pinnacle Studio 15

What I need help with.
vMix is a software switcher and records the stream from the camera.
It can record in AVI, MPEG, WMV (1080P or 720)

A. How do I take this large recording and get it to DVD? (formats , encoding, rendering, all new to me)
B. I would like to fit 2-4 hours of footage on a dvd.
C. I have multi DVD drives so I need to burn many copies.

I need to get all this done within an hour of the event ending. I know this is not realistic but any input would be appreciated.

Thank you for any input.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
What you need is DVD Authoring software.

Take a look at videohelp: »www.videohelp.com/dvd

The link above is to the "what is...DVD" section so you can see specifics concerning DVD.

A SL DVD will hold approx. 2 hours at "DVD" quality, for 4 hours you will want to use DL DVD.

Two thoughts on recording type: 1) capture in the format you wish to use (in this case, DVD is mpeg2) 2) record and capture in the highest available quality and plan on keeping/storing these recordings as masters. (For example, record and capture at 1080P, even though DVD is 480P, in case you wish to create or use a higher quality format in the future (Bl-ray)).
--
Google is your Friend

me

Iapetus
Thank you for your advice. I have been frequenting videohelp but I didn't check the link you provided.

I currently have Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate. It does very well at taking in an mpeg2 file and producing a dvd iso in a short amount of time.

My major problem at this point is dealing with the limited options I have while recording. My input is 1080i (wish it was p) which means I have de-interlace. De-interlacing while recording puts pressure on the CPU and frames are lost (I think). Frames are lost due to hard drive or CPU according to the results report.

For this reason I have been looking into AVI which has the luxury of allowing codec changes if needed (options are limited while recording). I have yet to see how long re-encoding will take based on my computer specs.

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to me
Converting from one format (codec) to another reduces quality. While it most likely won't matter or be noticeable for your current goal of DVD, it could in the future. Plus the additional step of converting.

All I can really say is to experiment with say a 10 or 15 minute clip. That will give you an idea of the output quality and a decent time to use as a basis to project times for a full project.
--
Google is your Friend

me

Iapetus
Ok after hours of study and testing I have one question.

The camera outputs at 1080i. I will record in MPEG2 de-interlaced.
What resolution should I choose to fit well and look good on an HDTV? (1hr DVD)

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to me
You don't really have any choice. Per the link I provided above:

720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)

720P and 1080i/P are HD formats and not supported in the DVD spec.

Hence the suggestion to capture in the highest quality possible (to keep for future use). And adjust the video resolution/quality as needed to meet your current needs.

--
Google is your Friend