Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scottw

@comcast.net
reply to Fertilemind

Re: [General] Broadsoft

Hi Eric,

I used to run global marketing at BroadSoft for 9 years from its inception so I know a bit about the company and the market.

There are very large switching costs when a carrier picks a platform like BroadWorks well beyond the cost of licenses (back office, training, interop etc.) that go well beyond a few features.

Additionally, while other platforms might seem like they are similar to BroadSoft, the reality is like an iceberg, most of the functionality is not in the end user features but under the hood (scalability, management, reliability, interoperability etc.). By this metric, there have been 14 years invested in the platform that are very hard to replicate. Also, the platform performs very well and customers really like the product, technology, and team so no real reason to switch.

BroadSoft won most of the carriers in the land grab and are unlikely to be dislodged anytime soon which is why the company is doing so well growing their penetration of the end user market based on this massive installed base.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Fertilemind

join:2012-10-18
New York, NY

Thanks Scott. That was definitely helpful. What other companies do you see competing directly with Broadsoft? Although they will enjoy their entrenched position with existing customers for a while, do they still have a competitive edge in winning new customers? Companies that come to my mind are GENBAND and Metaswitch. Any thoughts?

P.S. Would be happy to share our research with you as well and/or continue this conversation offline to see if there's a way I can be useful for you. Just PM me to exchange contact info if you're interested.

scottww

@comcast.net

They are nominally competing with Metaswitch and Genband directly. Also Cisco hosted solutions and open source more indirectly. But once a service provider makes a selection in either direction, they are very unlikely to switch. And the land grab is over so there are very few new SPs in the world that have not decided already on their call control vendor.

Happy to take this conversation offline and interested in your research.

Scott