Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

pnh102

Premium Member

Broken System

This is what you get when you let the cable industry vertically integrate, like with the Comcast-NBC merger.

The only way to fix this racket is to break it. Drop Cable TV. Don't feed the beast. Force this racket to fight for your business instead of giving them your money freely.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

2 recommendations

jazzlady

said by pnh102:

This is what you get when you let the cable industry vertically integrate, like with the Comcast-NBC merger.

The only way to fix this racket is to break it. Drop Cable TV. Don't feed the beast. Force this racket to fight for your business instead of giving them your money freely.

The problem is that many of us rely on cable internet. When you drop the cable tv part, they jack your bill up.

If I drop my tv, my cable modem bill goes up $15 a month. Granted, $15 a month isn't too terrible, but what's to stop them from raising it $40 or $50 a month to make up for the lost revenue?

This required bundling ought to be illegal.

I have no other options for internet so I'm stuck with the cable company unless I want to go back to dial up, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

3 recommendations

Kearnstd to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
I do not get why Cable is allowed to own any content. If General Mills, Kraft, Kellogs, etc tried to buy up a major supermarket chain the FTC would drop the hammer on them, Same thing with the reverse. somehow though the FTC and FCC ignore this issue with the cable and entertainment industries.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to jazzlady

Premium Member

to jazzlady
said by jazzlady:

The problem is that many of us rely on cable internet. When you drop the cable tv part, they jack your bill up.

If I drop my tv, my cable modem bill goes up $15 a month. Granted, $15 a month isn't too terrible, but what's to stop them from raising it $40 or $50 a month to make up for the lost revenue?

Agreed, but this for me was my only option.

Although in my particular case, when I downgraded my Internet with Comcast to Economy Plus, I was able to avoid that big of a hit. And, I can still do Netflix streaming and VPN/RDP sessions for working from home.
pnh102

pnh102 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

somehow though the FTC and FCC ignore this issue with the cable and entertainment industries.

History is literally repeating itself... recall the old Hollywood Studio System.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by jazzlady:

Agreed, but this for me was my only option.

Although in my particular case, when I downgraded my Internet with Comcast to Economy Plus, I was able to avoid that big of a hit. And, I can still do Netflix streaming and VPN/RDP sessions for working from home.

I understand completely.

Between this news, and the news yesterday about the FCC allowing cableco's to encrypt basic cable- I am thinking of dropping it also.

If I have to rent converter boxes/remotes my tv cost will go from $70 a month to $120- just for the tv part.

If that happens I may look into a commercial account with the same provider, if it has no caps, or reasonable ones.

They sure have consumers by the short and curly's, that''s for sure. :-(

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

1 recommendation

mech1164 to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by Kearnstd:

somehow though the FTC and FCC ignore this issue with the cable and entertainment industries.

History is literally repeating itself... recall the old Hollywood Studio System.

Agreed there and it took an act of congress to Break them. FCC is just as bought and sold as all the other parts of DC. That may change I just don't hold out hope for it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to jazzlady

Premium Member

to jazzlady
Agreed, it's called penalty pricing.

It's an anti-competitive behavior to extract more money from savvy consumers who want to vote with their wallet--- and are penalized for it.

It's NOT a "Bundling discount" it's a PENALTY for not giving them more of your cash.