Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to dmolavi

Re: Pardon my uncaffeinated ignorance...

said by dmolavi:

...but is this basically reinforcing the "terrestrial loophole" that Crapcast and others were using to keep local sports channels from FiOS and satellite subs?

No, I think this is more in line with now that companies like Comcast OWN the distribution AND the content, they will now be able to charge such high rates to competitors that it will not be feasible for the programs to be carried by other distributors.

So if there is content being produced by NBC and you now have the choice of seeing it on Comcast or FiOS because of the rule keeping the cost down to Verizon, Comcast can now raise the rates so high, that it would not be profitable for Verizon to carry. So in essence to see the wide variety of content you are used to from one source, you may have to subscribe to Comcast and FiOS both.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
But what if I cannot subscribe to both FiOS and Comcast because Comcast is not the local cable franchise and it is not profitable for any of the other cable operators either? I won't be able to watch that content at all even if I wanted to.

dw

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Exactly.. Hence why everyone has been so against things like the Comcast/NBC deal.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 recommendation

reply to dick white
Then you either won't get comcast content OR your bill will skyrocket. Just wait for nfl network and espn/abc/disney to raise their rates through the roof. People won't be able to afford tv. Our bills will be well over $200 a month.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by mikedz4:

Then you either won't get comcast content OR your bill will skyrocket. Just wait for nfl network and espn/abc/disney to raise their rates through the roof. People won't be able to afford tv. Our bills will be well over $200 a month.

And then the content owners will see a spike in Piracy and go crying to the government to crack down.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports