Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to alex14464

Premium Member

to alex14464

Re: Fair warning! 3rd party purchase of U-verse IPDSLAM modem

said by alex14464:

I tried it and it works!!!!! thanks Thinkdiff just downloaded the zip, unziped and updated my modem and it came right on

Can you document how you updated the modem?

madbear
join:2000-09-03
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

Well, last night I screwed my courage to the sticking point, and gave it a try...

Success!

Easy - unzip the file, go into the modem's "Advanced" menu and select "Update Modem." Browse to the unzipped .bin file location, select the firmware update and proceed (sorry, I can't remember the exact button names). The update happens in a few seconds.

I went back in under "Connection Configuration" and selected "Yes, use public IP address" and configured my WNR3500L to get the Internet IP address dynamically from ISP (the 2210 with the current firmware passes the subnet mask correctly to the router, unlike the NVG510), and I was in business.

The log file from initial powerup while connected to the line initially shows the 802.1X Supplicant - FAILURE error, but after about a minute shows "Client Acquired Net Parameters". There's something about "Certificate Verify Success", "Connection Request username changed" and "Connection Request password changed" in there as well.

So all seems well... for the time being. Does anyone know how often those certificates are updated? I really like having a spare modem around in case of emergency, but am I going to have to pull it out of storage every few months and connect it to keep its firmware/certificates current?

And thanks for posting r27!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by madbear:

So all seems well... for the time being. Does anyone know how often those certificates are updated? I really like having a spare modem around in case of emergency, but am I going to have to pull it out of storage every few months and connect it to keep its firmware/certificates current?

Here are the expiration dates for the certificates I extracted from the NVG510. I assume r27 contains the same ones:

SBC Services , Inc Root CA - August 22, 2012
SBC Services, Inc. Enhanced Services CA - August 22, 2012
ATT Services Inc Root CA - February 24, 2031
ATT Services Inc Enhanced Services CA - February 24, 2021
Motorola 802.1x Root CA - June 19, 2019
Motorola 802.1x AAA server CA - June 19, 2019

So it looks like you're safe until June 19, 2019, unless AT&T decides to change something else. If the Motorola CA isn't used, then you have even longer (2021)!

madbear
join:2000-09-03
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

Heh - it'll be a really sorry state of affairs if I'm still on IP-DSLAM U-verse in 7 years...

But stranger things have happened!

Thanks again