Search similar:

uniqs

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

MoCA POE filter?

I've been using MoCA in my home for a few years now and never had a MoCA POE filter (i.e. low pass filter) installed (I simply use encrypted MoCA). I've been having some cable signal problems recently and figured it might be a good idea to have a POE filter just in case so I ordered two (one for before the modem and one for outside the house).

I had a tech come out today because of the issues and I mentioned that I was getting the POE filters and he said to not bother installing them as they aren't needed and simply add another point of failure along the line.

Is the tech correct, are MoCA POE's unnecessary?

On a side note, yesterday my modem lost upstream signal and my TV signals were pretty bad. I ended up disconnecting my Netgear MoCA bridge (which is inline between the modem and the wall) from the coax cable and then re-connecting it and after doing so my modem locked and my TV signals were much better. Could the bridge have caused all my house signals to go bad?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

You should use the filter to prevent your signals from running back into other users. As more MoCA is used, that could cause conflicts if your neighbors start using it.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

I suppose, though the encryption should take care of that. Plus there's really no place to buy MoCA devices these days and my neighbors aren't that tech savvy.

My main question is why a Comcast tech would tell me to not install a POE?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

probably because they dont even access to them (due to inventory).

while on higher value taps, it shouldnt be an issue of not installing one; however on a low value tap, say a 4,7,or 10 i could see it causing issues.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Morac

MVM

to Morac
said by Morac:

I suppose, though the encryption should take care of that.

The encryption just stops others from using it, but the signal itself would interfere with other MoCA areas.

Don't put down your neighbors tech ability. Also, Comcast's AnyRoom is MoCA, and anybody with that could have issues due to interference from you.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

flwpwr to Morac

Anon

to Morac
Our moca filters work 2 ways, I would assume any decent other one out there would do the same. On one hand they block frequency from coming in ot out of the local network at the point they are placed.

They also reflect the signal back from the direction it comes, helping your local network bypass port to port isolation loss on splitters and get a good signal on your local network as well as protect you from ingress on the external network. Depending on the frequency you are running you may not need one to protect the cable operator due to natural attenuation, and the passive loss your tap provides, but it is your responsibility to ensure your signal does not get onto their PRIVATE network. The easiest way to do that is get the appropriate POE filter an use it.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Well the POE filters I ordered came. I haven't installed them though. I was planning on adding one between my modem and the bridge (not sure that's really necessary) and one outside the house near the ground block.

The problem with the 2nd one is that the techs tighten the connectors so tight that it will require a wrench or something to loosen the connection.

I'm not sure I'll bother at this point. None of my neighbors know what MoCA is let alone have any MoCA capable devices and Comcast hasn't deployed their whole-home solution in my area. Even if they did, there are several MoCA channels and it's unlikely that they would end up using the same channel. Finally, I've had MoCA up and running for over 2 years and not once has Comcast complained about my signals leaking into their network (and they've been out in my neighborhood many times).

Maybe next time I have them out for a problem, I'll get them to install it.