sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to elwoodblues

Mod

to elwoodblues

Re: Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

To elwoodblues - Pardon? You just said it's a regulatory issue, not a legal one. In which case, why would it go to the Supreme court. If it's a regulatory overstep on the part of the CRTC, then that's up to the Minister to intervene. And whoever suggested that the minister(s) wouldn't intervene because it would shake a hornets' nest was dead on!

To Gone - Cabinet DOES have the power to intervene, but they won't.

General - The CRTC has guidelines established in conjunction with the two ministries responsible (Industry and Heritage) with regard to acceptable levels of media concentration at any given level. This is why they got away with buying CTV et al ... even though that was also bad for Canadians. In the case of CTV what was so wrong was the vertical concentration of BDU and media provider, but that wasn't part of their guidelines.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

To Gone - Cabinet DOES have the power to intervene, but they won't.

Cabinet only has the power to send it back to the CRTC. They don't have the power to outright overrule like they did with Wind because it doesn't involve a license granted by Industry Canada.

But, they won't, for reasons obvious that have been stated here already.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Sbrook,I'm speculating here, to me it's a regulatory issue, I say they are heading to the SCC, because the Federal courts may/will dismiss it, and up the chain it goes.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

If it's a regulatory issue, then it has no business going to any court unless there was an error in law.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

If it's a regulatory issue, then it has no business going to any court unless there was an error in law.

Bell will try to and claim it was an error in law, you can bet on that.