Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook

Re: Great news! - CRTC blocks Astral buy by Bell

said by sbrook:

It could be said that Astral's board were acting in a fiscally irresponsible manner in accepting Bell's offer since the chances of failure were so high. In some ways it just turns out to be another pump and dump stock scam.

And the Audet family were trying to unduly enrich themselves with a premium demanded for their shares.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

And the Audet family were trying to unduly enrich themselves with a premium demanded for their shares.

Mentioning the Audet family in the same thread that Astral Media is mentioned in makes my skin crawl. Just sayin....

Mike

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Mentioning the Audet family in the same thread that Astral Media is mentioned in makes my skin crawl. Just sayin....

Mike

I didn't know what you were talking about until I looked it up... and now I have the crawlies too.

Thanks Mike.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I didn't know what you were talking about until I looked it up... and now I have the crawlies too.

Thanks Mike.

I think we'll probably see Audet take a[nother] pretty good run at Astral sooner rather than later. Like, any minute now.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4622241/

I mean, the nails are already in the coffin for Bell on this. If Audet were even seen as mildly interested, and he surely is, that would just drive those nails home even further.

That would go a long way in shoring up Astral's stock I think.

I'm just wondering what Cogeco would have to cook up to raise that kind of cash. Some unholy partnership with someone, I'm sure.

Mike

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I read something else today, that they could all collectively create a company to hold and share the channels from Astral.

Of course I see that working like water and oil. I'm waiting for the Bell/Robbers fight over MLSE to start,you know it's going to happen.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I think we'll probably see Audet take a[nother] pretty good run at Astral sooner rather than later. Like, any minute now.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4622241/

I mean, the nails are already in the coffin for Bell on this. If Audet were even seen as mildly interested, and he surely is, that would just drive those nails home even further.

I'd be betting he'll pick it up for about 85% or what Bell was going to get it for... I don't know how they get away with this crap...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I'd be betting he'll pick it up for about 85% or what Bell was going to get it for... I don't know how they get away with this crap...

Yeah, for sure something tangibly lower. But only because I think Bell was willing to pay an inflated price. Astral may have been able to play hardball with Bell on some stuff, but that's a game Audet is familiar with. That, and I think Astral is a bit spooked and would probably just want to get something done.

Yeah, 85% sounds about right give or take.

Interesting times ahead.

You know what else I'm wondering about?

Which heads are going to roll at Bell over this. Has to happen. No way a deal of this size can get killed and no-one takes a fall. Somebody has to take the fall. Willingly or otherwise.

Mike

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

You know what else I'm wondering about?

Which heads are going to roll at Bell over this. Has to happen. No way a deal of this size can get killed and no-one takes a fall. Somebody has to take the fall. Willingly or otherwise.

Mike

The tone of their press releases is pretty shrill, so my impression is that they thought this was in the bag.

I'm wondering what possessed them to treat this like a done deal when many have been refused for less.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I'm wondering what possessed them to treat this like a done deal when many have been refused for less.

Under Konrad they more or less got everything they asked for without even so much as a second thought. The winds of change started when Clement put the kybosh on it. Since then things have tightened up, and this is especially evident now that a new sheriff is running the show.

As I said, there were some very recent rulings related to simsubs and local content requirements that one would have thought would be a formality and approved under Konrad, yet were outright denied with scathing reasons by the CRTC. To call it an about-face switch would be an understatement. After seeing those, the writing was sort of on the wall for this deal to be denied. Bell are merely so delusional and so full of themselves that they were the only ones who didn't see it.

I'm hoping that the CRTC really starts forcing local news and content requirements on the networks, which in turn will mean that the CKVR transmitter Bell has applied for in Fonthill - to which they openly and completely admit is for no purposes other than simsubs - is either denied, or approved on the condition that it is a full transmitter that provides local coverage to the half a million people who live in the Niagara Region. CTV Two Niagara - I like the sound of that.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Under Konrad they more or less got everything they asked for without even so much as a second thought. The winds of change started when Clement put the kybosh on it. Since then things have tightened up, and this is especially evident now that a new sheriff is running the show.

I'm going to assume the policy direction is being changed, and the new CRTC chair is probably making sure decisions are in line with it.

Good news over all I'm pretty happy with this "new" CRTC so far.

EQ
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I wonder if Cogeco would have done the Atlantic Broadband deal knowing that Astral might come back in to play.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

I wonder if Cogeco would have done the Atlantic Broadband deal knowing that Astral might come back in to play.

They'll probably make a move on it anyway. That, and they're from Quebec, so the whole whining over Quebec losing its voice won't apply and they'll be in a good position to take it whole.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I'm hoping that the CRTC really starts forcing local news and content requirements on the networks, which in turn will mean that the CKVR transmitter Bell has applied for in Fonthill - to which they openly and completely admit is for no purposes other than simsubs - is either denied, or approved on the condition that it is a full transmitter that provides local coverage to the half a million people who live in the Niagara Region. CTV Two Niagara - I like the sound of that.

CTV Two (CKVP) is already broadcasting out of Fonthill. Not sure if they are broadcasting local content. Probably not ? I agree that they should. Would be cool to have local Niagara news.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

Would be cool to have local Niagara news.

What, like:

Tonight's top story - Vern's truck didn't start again. Film at 11.

silvercat

silvercat

LoL

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

CTV Two (CKVP) is already broadcasting out of Fonthill. Not sure if they are broadcasting local content. Probably not ? I agree that they should. Would be cool to have local Niagara news.

It has dedicated call letters, that's rather interesting. I didn't even know it was approved, though. I know they ran into all sorts of problems in Hamilton. I'm going to have to run a rescan on my TV to see if anything comes up, but I doubt it will.
Gone

Gone to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Tonight's top story - Vern's truck didn't start again. Film at 11.

Probably incessant bitching about the NHS and car accident after car accident on the QEW.

In other words, identical to what you'd get out of London, Kitchener, Barrie and Windsor.

silvercat

silvercat to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

It has dedicated call letters, that's rather interesting. I didn't even know it was approved, though. I know they ran into all sorts of problems in Hamilton. I'm going to have to run a rescan on my TV to see if anything comes up, but I doubt it will.

You're probably close enough that you can get it from Fort Erie. I can get it from Niagara Falls, and the antenna isn't even pointing towards Fonthill (but the range in degrees that the front of the antenna can pick up is pretty wide)

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Just manually tuned my TV to 42. Nadda. Buffalo comes in great, though.