how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

girlsfish2

join:2012-10-19
Dunedin, FL

Samsung hd dvr issues since software download Dunedin FL

We've been having problems with our Samsung hd dvr since the new software downloaded at 1:30 a.m. on 10-08-12. Our box is now possessed and does all sorts of weird stuff that it didn't do before the download - all on its own. Can't rely on it to record what has been set up. Lots of "Channel Not Available" screens. Tech came out, checked everything inside and out. Said there were signal issues outside and told it was fixed. We are still having the same issues, so now they are saying we need to replace the box. This is our 5th box in 2 years. There is a consistent signal strength problem that nobody seems to be able to fix. I don't want to keep switching the box every few months if the problem is really with a very fluctuating signal strength. Help!

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

Don't think it is the signal... as Gary can attest, my wife has been complaining about that box for months... it was having recording problems before the 'upgrade' of the guide. Lost recording, trying to record 3 things at a time and not recording any. Blank recordings... and so on.

Gary told my wife to wait for the upgrade, there could be more than one.

It didn't matter, same problems you have continued.

On Monday the box 'died'. Wife noticed it had a 6111 on the display, figured there was an update and it would finish. Went back a few hours later, all it had was the green power light on and the display was blank. NOTHING could wake it up... DEAD...

Got an Atl. Scientific at the BHN store, clerk said they are all the same, none gets more returns than the other, and that was all she had to dispense. So far, working fine. Doing what it is supposed to do.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138
reply to girlsfish2

said by girlsfish2:

We've been having problems with our Samsung hd dvr since the new software downloaded at 1:30 a.m. on 10-08-12. Our box is now possessed and does all sorts of weird stuff that it didn't do before the download - all on its own. Can't rely on it to record what has been set up. Lots of "Channel Not Available" screens. Tech came out, checked everything inside and out. Said there were signal issues outside and told it was fixed. We are still having the same issues, so now they are saying we need to replace the box. This is our 5th box in 2 years. There is a consistent signal strength problem that nobody seems to be able to fix. I don't want to keep switching the box every few months if the problem is really with a very fluctuating signal strength. Help!

Signal issues don't make boxes behave this way. I really need specifics and I will also need you to open a direct forums thread and include your IP address so I can take a look at a few things..
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

girlsfish2

Dunedin, FL
reply to ispalten

Thanks for replying. It's a shame that none of these HD DVR boxes seem to last very long. The Samsung is our 5th in 2 years and it was brand new. The box is no longer reliable - has a mind all its own - so we have no choice but to get another box. They are switching to a Cisco 8742 HDC box tomorrow the 22nd. We'll see how long this one lasts...

girlsfish2

Dunedin, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I'm new to this so not sure where "direct forums" are or where to get my IP address from. If you can help me figure that out I'll get it to you right away.

As for our HD DVR box problem... We've always been told that certain problems are due to signal issues (which seems to always be fluctuating here). And as for the HD DVR not working correctly, we're told our only option is to change the box out. Seems simple except that it ends up taking us a couple weeks to get shows set up to record again and by then the little issues like glitches, pixelating and tiling issues start happening again. We can't get any answers about why the software download affected our - and many others - boxes so much. We call customer service and are told that the tech guy can check the box for errors and can make sure the software downloaded correctly. But the tech guys all say they can't do anything about the software and the box NEVER shows any errors. Very frustrating.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to girlsfish2

Go here...

»Bright House Networks Direct

Then post your thread there and include your IP address (goto google and type - what is my ip) and paste the result. Thanks.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Wesley Chapel, FL
reply to girlsfish2

said by girlsfish2:

...by then the little issues like glitches, pixelating and tiling issues start happening again.

We originally had a Cisco Explorer 8640 HDC model HD DVR for a couple of years and more recently started getting "stalling" of the video/audio when playing back a recorded show. It got worse over time to the point that it would happen about 5 times during a half-hour sitcom! Of course, the dialog is so quick in these shows that even a one or two second delay causes you to miss a great punchline.

We recently put in a service request and the box was replaced with the Cisco 8742 HDC DVR. After about two weeks with the new box, we started to notice a couple of these same "hiccups" in a recorded show we watched last night, so it would appear that the problem is not limited to a specific device.

FWIW, I don't recall the last time I noticed the problem watching live TV and I probably watch equal amounts of live TV and recorded TV.

girlsfish2

Dunedin, FL

It's interesting that all these issues have to do with DVR boxes. When we had a regular HD digital cable box we didn't have problems at all. Then we decided to get the HD DVR box... wa wa wa... problems, problems, problems. We are on box number 5 as of today in a 27 month period. I have 2 computers and one is 10 years old; no problems. So are all these DVR recording problems because of the box or the software? If the issues are the same on different manufacturer boxes, then I lean toward it being a software issue. What else could it be? What do you think?

swbrains

Wesley Chapel, FL

Just curious -- do you experience your issues while watching recorded programs, live programs or both?

camaroz

join:2002-10-23
Longwood, FL
reply to girlsfish2

I had all kinds of bugs with my Samsung DVR, after the update. I was about to very angrily return it to my home office, until I reformatted it. You will have to do it through the service menu of the box, though. Look it up

I suggest you take a picture, or write down all of your shows under "series manager", and reformat the box. You will have to re-add them later. Also be sure to select the option to "erase all dvr software", if the shows aren't gone after formatting.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by camaroz:

I had all kinds of bugs with my Samsung DVR, after the update. I was about to very angrily return it to my home office, until I reformatted it. You will have to do it through the service menu of the box, though. Look it up

I suggest you take a picture, or write down all of your shows under "series manager", and reformat the box. You will have to re-add them later. Also be sure to select the option to "erase all dvr software", if the shows aren't gone after formatting.

Interesting twist of a fix....
--

camaroz

join:2002-10-23
Longwood, FL

It sure fixed mine :P I know BHN probably doesn't want people going into the service menu of their boxes, but it's the only way I know of to format.

If I thought long enough, I could probably come up with 15-20 weird things my box was doing that the other 8300HD/C's in my household have never done. Formatting has solved everything, other than the occasional recording that gets stuck flagged as recording, even hours after the show is over.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to camaroz

said by camaroz:

Exactly what issues were you having post update prior to the reformatting?
--

swbrains

Wesley Chapel, FL
reply to girlsfish2

Even with our new Cisco 8742 HDC DVR, we had a problem tonight where it wasn't going to record our Monday sitcoms. We have it set in the Series Manager to record three shows on CBS. We have it configured to record:

Up to 7 episodes of each
Only "new" episodes
One minute before/No extra time after
Any showings (any timeslot)

This has worked in past weeks, but this week my wife luckily noticed at 8:01 that the "record" light was not on (while she was watching a previously recorded show) so she quickly viewed the program guide and noticed all three of our shows were not scheduled to record (not red in the guide). She manually selected to record each one from the guide and then they recorded (although we missed a couple of minutes of the first show).

I went in later to review the Series Manager for each of them and the parameters were still correct (as noted above), and the show descriptions in the guide did have each of them marked as "new". Also, we didn't have any past episodes saved. We watch and delete them so we didn't hit the 7-show limit on any of them. Since we use "any showings", we know the time slot shouldn't be causing them to not be recorded. There were also no conflicts in the recording schedule either -- it's simply set to record just those three shows which are all on the same channel. The only time both tuners would be in use is during the one minute between the two consecutive shows at 9pm and 9:30pm but that should still work as no other shows were set to record during that time on any other channels and no warnings popped up regarding any conflicts.

Luckily my wife caught it this time. We've had similar experiences in the past on our previous DVR using the older revision of the program guide software, where shows that were scheduled simply didn't record even though our settings said they should have.

Does the DVR have any kind of internal log that would show which criteria failed from the Series Manager causing a show to not be recorded on a given night?

waynew

join:2012-03-16
Lake Mary, FL
reply to girlsfish2

The "recording log" should indicate why it wasn't able to record or when/why it was deleted. Unfortunately the recording log is now broken, so it is not in any usable order and it is not possible to press the info button to get more details about the show any more.

But since your situation seems to be that the DVR didn't even TRY to record, they may not be in the recording log.