pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by Os:

My last laptop was almost $2000.

Ouch.

If it was me I'd have hoped I'd have paid for that with the credit card and gotten the "free" extended warranty benefits.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
I did. It decided to meltdown 2 weeks or so after the extended warranty expired in 2010. Vowed at that point to never buy another laptop again, it was a higher-end HP with a 17" widescreen. Dedicated graphics was the problem there, the nVidia card overheated and took the motherboard with it.

I prefer desktops because I have access to all the parts, and can easily get to whatever I need and can move parts in and out as technology changes.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by Os:

I prefer desktops because I have access to all the parts, and can easily get to whatever I need and can move parts in and out as technology changes.

Makes sense... And the best part is at least those are cheap enough to be disposable.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Exactly. It doesn't cost much to build a computer these days if you know what you're doing.

Until I see what this Ceton Q costs, I'm waiting to build an HTPC. I know I can build an HTPC pretty cheap, it will be a fun project, and I hate cable boxes.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
reply to Os
said by Os:

I did. It decided to meltdown 2 weeks or so after the extended warranty expired in 2010. Vowed at that point to never buy another laptop again, it was a higher-end HP with a 17" widescreen. Dedicated graphics was the problem there, the nVidia card overheated and took the motherboard with it.

Did you try getting the graphics chip reflowed to see if it would fix it? I had a dv4-1155se with bad graphics, and had a guy reflow the graphics chip and it brought the system back to life. It was a 2008 model.