join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

3 recommendations

TSA cleanup at Newark International

»abcnews.go.com/Blotter/tsa-set-f ··· 17518364

The Transportation Security Administration announced today that it has proposed to fire 25 of its employees and to suspend another 19 at Newark International Airport for alleged misconduct. ...

Sleeping on the job, not checking bags, stealing stuff from passengers -

The TSA said in a statement that it "has a zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace" and the agency "takes prompt and appropriate action with any employee who does not follow our procedures and engages in misconduct."

I call baloney. When people complain, they're ignored. If they complain too much, they're pulled aside, threatened with arrest and hassled.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by EGeezer:

»abcnews.go.com/Blotter/tsa-set-f ··· 17518364

The Transportation Security Administration announced today that it has proposed to fire 25 of its employees and to suspend another 19 at Newark International Airport for alleged misconduct. ...

The TSA said in a statement that it "has a zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace" and the agency "takes prompt and appropriate action with any employee who does not follow our procedures and engages in misconduct."

I call baloney. When people complain, they're ignored. If they complain too much, they're pulled aside, threatened with arrest and hassled.

and subjected to enhanced screening measures.
Plus they are scanned and their private parts are digitally imaged
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

Prompt action??
It's not as if suddenly one day the 25 + 19 TSA employees picked up bad habits because these types of violations do not manifest overnight.
There had to have been a longstanding, well embedded & contagious culture in place for such a large number of employees to be involved.
There's nothing sudden or unknown that prompted this TSA disciplinary action - My guess is that one hard headed, honest employee, not of management turned whistle blower threatening to blow down the house of cards.
Short story - IMO, TSA had no option but to clean house.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

That, and I think the TSA is doing some major damage control. "Look at us, we self-govern very well! No need for oversight."
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Snowy
June 2012
8 Newark airport screeners fired by TSA for sleeping on duty, other violations
»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ··· fir.html

May 2012
Report: Security breaches underreported by TSA
»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ··· ity.html
»gothamist.com/2012/10/07/secret_ ··· _use.php

»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1 ··· ing.html

It is long standing and not the first time action was taken. My son living in Rockaway NJ refuses to fly out of there..and heads to Harrisburg PA to do his flying.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

doppler

join:2003-03-31
Blue Point, NY
reply to EGeezer
Makes a great headline TODAY!!

But these UNION EMPLOYEES will be back on the job, maybe another airport. But mark my words they will be back on the job. This is what you get when you UNIONIZE the public sector.

Don't believe me "Just try to fire a NYC teacher". Unless you catch them with a smoking gun over a dead student, nothing is going to happen.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

June 2012
8 Newark airport screeners fired by TSA for sleeping on duty, other violations
»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ··· fir.html

It is long standing and not the first time action was taken.

That timeline actually makes some sense - ~4 months from the first firings to what I'll assume is a final outcome of an investigation into what was previously just allegations.
said by Name Game:

My son living in Rockaway NJ refuses to fly out of there..and heads to Harrisburg PA to do his flying.

That's another possibility of what prompted this action.
If your son's decision was becoming a norm -
An airport that believes it was losing income because of TSA incompetence wouldn't take that sitting down.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to doppler
said by doppler:

But these UNION EMPLOYEES will be back on the job, maybe another airport. But mark my words they will be back on the job. This is what you get when you UNIONIZE the public sector.

Don't believe me "Just try to fire a NYC teacher". Unless you catch them with a smoking gun over a dead student, nothing is going to happen.

All worked in a single screening room in Newark International’s Terminal B. Cameras had been installed in the room as part of a previous investigation into a worker accused of stealing from passengers' bags. That worker resigned last year and was not charged, the TSA said.

The employees recommended for firing or suspension Friday were shifted to non-screening duties after their work was seen on camera last year, the TSA said. The agency said it replaced them with screeners from its national pool.

»www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ··· 63.story

Translation: given duties where they can fall asleep and not be seen.

OK..everybody out of the pool..time for a some freeze and squeeze.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

EGeezer
Premium
Midwest
reply to doppler
Show me the part where "union rules" protected these people from being fired.

doppler

Blue Point, NY
said by EGeezer:

Do a google search for new york city teacher and rubber room.

Some teachers have been there over a decade and retired from the rubber room.
Is it possible to fire a UNION employee "yes".
Will the UNION make it as difficult as possible "yes".
Will the UNION go all out to get the person, rehired with back pay "yes".
So is it practical for an employer to fire a UNION employee "no".

JFK, made the mistake of allowing public sector employees to UNIONIZE. He broke FDR's biggest rule.

The biggest UNION rule is UNION employees keep there UNION job.
Even if it means to put the company out of business.

EGeezer
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by doppler:

said by EGeezer:

That has nothing to do with the TSA stories.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to doppler
said by doppler:

tell that to the PBA
--

doppler

Blue Point, NY
reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

said by doppler:

said by EGeezer:

That has nothing to do with the TSA stories.

The TSA has nothing to do with the Constitution. Why do we allow our 4th amendment rights to be stomped on. Just because we are traveling. Well dah, just take the bus. Wrong they are playing that game too.

Firing the TSA bad people, is like putting a fresh coat of paint on an ugly house. When you are done, you still got an ugly house.

I was pointing to the "rubber room" as an example for why firing the TSA bad guys, is like a paint job. Nothing is changing. Just a fresh coat of paint. My point is to "get rid of the ugly house". We won't have to pay for the upkeep anymore.

EGeezer
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

3 recommendations

said by doppler:

Firing the TSA bad people, is like putting a fresh coat of paint on an ugly house. When you are done, you still got an ugly house. ... firing the TSA bad guys, is like a paint job. Nothing is changing. Just a fresh coat of paint. My point is to "get rid of the ugly house". We won't have to pay for the upkeep anymore.

That has nothing to do with "unions". They didn't make the rules for TSA practices. All that stuff started at the top in 2003 in the name of "fighting terrorism".

poste eddittud fur speling

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to EGeezer
well they have zero tolerance when a reporter from Nightline or 60 Minutes arrives asking questions. Until then they just ignore the passenger complaints.

Basic rule of thumb, If something foul is going down and it involves a government agency(or honestly even a mega-corp) sick the media on them. Bad PR is the best possible motivator.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to EGeezer
Perhaps this is a bit OT. Prior to 9/11 I used to fly regularly all round the US and to other parts of the world. One time I had an unfortunate forced need to have to fly out of Newark.

Of all the airports and gin joints in what would be considered a "regular" airport in a major city that serviced multiple majors or affiliates Newark wins hands down as the biggest shit hole AP I've ever been at--in every category. I was aghast.

In fact I've found a number of unique or unusual "things" specific to New Jersey in general.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by Blogger:

In fact I've found a number of unique or unusual "things" specific to New Jersey in general.

don't blame the whole state, its the Cities really.
--

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

said by doppler:

Firing the TSA bad people, is like putting a fresh coat of paint on an ugly house. When you are done, you still got an ugly house. ... firing the TSA bad guys, is like a paint job. Nothing is changing. Just a fresh coat of paint. My point is to "get rid of the ugly house". We won't have to pay for the upkeep anymore.

That has nothing to do with "unions". They didn't make the rules for TSA practices. All that stuff started at the top in 2003 in the name of "fighting terrorism".

poste eddittud fur speling

Completely agree eGeezer. This agency was conceived in panic, gestated in fear and born prematurely. Too many people were worried about foreign powers and too unconcerned with domestic ones - a bad recepie with predictable results.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton