DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean

Re: [hard drive] When to upgrade or add 2nd hard drive?

Ya its a nice option,though I fear it would work like spanning disks in windows server rather than like a raid1.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Ya its a nice option,though I fear it would work like spanning disks in windows server rather than like a raid1.

Of course it would. You're not getting redundancy unless you are losing space.

I would personally avoid such spanning because you're worsening any failure (files using parts of both drives are gone, even files entirely on the good drive are going to be a PITA to recover) while not providing much benefit other than a little convenience.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I ment raid0

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I ment raid0

Ah yes. Indeed if you are going to have 2 drives with 2 drives worth of space spanned just raid0 and back that shit up.

Spanning gives you a chance to recover some of the data after a single disk failure but it doesn't improve performance. You need a backup anyways might as well raid0.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

The point would be raid0 would evenly write to the 2 disks, rather than fill one then start filling the next.

They could do it in a form of file level raid0 (ie alternate which drive gets the next file) in this way it would balance it and could have some metrics for differing sizes, also it would allow for some data to be recovered.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

People should be running some kind of backup system (on and off sight) no matter what. I tell friends and family this all the time and naturally practice this myself.

RAID is great but it has restrictions that many of the average users don't want to be bothered with.

Also in the example I gave earlier who would really want to setup,a RAID 0 array using a 60GB SSD and a 240GB SSD? I could see a 256GB SSD and a 240GB SSD or a 512GB SSD and a 480GB SSD but not a pair (or group) that would result in significant loss of expensive storage.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

True it's not good if the drives are significantly mismatched. In that case is it really worth mucking around for another 60GB, and probably a slower 60GB at that? Just use the 240GB and use the 60GB for something else, either a 2nd drive, an external, or to spruce up an old laptop.

Windows has decent tools built in for copying the image to a new drive, they're probably even better in Windows 8.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Right but I'm talking about doing a "Friday" job when friends and family need or want a quick solution. Maybe someone wants help over the phone but just isn't getting all the concepts involved.

Whatever the case, you're short on time and or willingness to help.

You pop in the new drive. Click a few buttons and you're done. If every second counts you go with what is fastest,...

Not necessarily the best option but its good to have options other then" I'll see what I can do next week,......if I have time,....and if I remember,.......".