Kailua, HI

2 recommendations

Snowy to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

Re: TSA cleanup at Newark International

said by EGeezer:

Sleeping on the job, not checking bags, stealing stuff from passengers -

The TSA said in a statement that it "has a zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace" and the agency "takes prompt and appropriate action with any employee who does not follow our procedures and engages in misconduct."

Prompt action??
It's not as if suddenly one day the 25 + 19 TSA employees picked up bad habits because these types of violations do not manifest overnight.
There had to have been a longstanding, well embedded & contagious culture in place for such a large number of employees to be involved.
There's nothing sudden or unknown that prompted this TSA disciplinary action - My guess is that one hard headed, honest employee, not of management turned whistle blower threatening to blow down the house of cards.
Short story - IMO, TSA had no option but to clean house.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

That, and I think the TSA is doing some major damage control. "Look at us, we self-govern very well! No need for oversight."

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
June 2012
8 Newark airport screeners fired by TSA for sleeping on duty, other violations
»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· fir.html

May 2012
Report: Security breaches underreported by TSA
»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· ity.html
»gothamist.com/2012/10/07 ··· _use.php

»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· ing.html

It is long standing and not the first time action was taken. My son living in Rockaway NJ refuses to fly out of there..and heads to Harrisburg PA to do his flying.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

June 2012
8 Newark airport screeners fired by TSA for sleeping on duty, other violations
»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· fir.html

It is long standing and not the first time action was taken.

That timeline actually makes some sense - ~4 months from the first firings to what I'll assume is a final outcome of an investigation into what was previously just allegations.
said by Name Game:

My son living in Rockaway NJ refuses to fly out of there..and heads to Harrisburg PA to do his flying.

That's another possibility of what prompted this action.
If your son's decision was becoming a norm -
An airport that believes it was losing income because of TSA incompetence wouldn't take that sitting down.