share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Selenia

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal is released today.

I know Android is based on Linux, I also know it's on tablets/smart phones. But Android doesn't run on laptops/desktops [as far as I know. Maybe someone managed to hack it so it does, I dunno].
I have a Nexus 7, and Jellybean is a lot different from the Ubuntu that I am running on my PC. But then again, I'm more of a user and not a programmer. I tried programing years ago, and found it tedious, mind numbing, and boring. Though I still have to have a little knowledge in it, so I can understand why certain signals are where they are on a circuit board, and what they should look like.
However, windows is going to release Windows 8 very soon. My understanding is the Windows Surface Tablet has the full blown Windows 8 on it, though in tablet form.

Hence why I was asking if Ubuntu was heading the same way. So you could use a tablet, or a PC, and see just about the same thing.
Unlike now. Where Android/IOS are completely different from what is running on their computer counter parts.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
The name Unity is to suggest that there is Unity between the interface Ubuntu will be using for both their desktop OS and their tablet/phone interface. So yes, a move to the tablet is an explicit goal of Unity. But today it is not usable as a interface where the primary interaction comes through touch.
The Android and iOS interface are designed to specifically target tablets and phones. I have used Android in a desktop configuration (keybaord, mouse, monitor) and it was not a bad experience.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad