Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

Motorola radios 5 years ago

Hi
Can anyone tell me about the motorola radios as they were 5 years ago. Eg. common speeds, TDMA capability? etc, flagship model

I have been asked to remove some radios that are brand new, in their original packaging from a storage unit- the owner wants them gone as they dont have any use for them anymore, and probably doesnt know what they are.

So its a 5 hour drive to go and pick them up and am trying to decide if it will be worth it. He says there are dishes etc there as well and that i will need a large trailer.

So what do you think i could expect?
I realise we dont know the exact models but am wanting to find out more about what their technology was capable of at the time. 2mbit? 8mbit? 20mbit?

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
Motorola is a big company with a lot of products. I don't think we can do much with this amount of detail.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to raytaylor
Have him open a couple boxes and take some photos of them I.e serial and or model numbers.
Could be old P-7 stuff which is not really worth much now but if its P9 or greater its got some value still, just need to flash all new firmware etc...

Eidt- If its canopy gear who knows it could be two way radios need more info on models etc or pictures with model / mac addresses stickers.

ctech99

join:2010-02-16
reply to raytaylor
I'll make a road trip and take them off your hands!

Also, I've worked on customers homes that had canopy 900mhz units up and running, and the board inside said 2004 or 2006 on it. I swore it said 2004. I was shocked to see that.. I just installed that unit on a family members house. Doing 3mb and 9.5 miles just fine.

raytaylor

reply to raytaylor
I told him i would go tomorrow and pick them up either way.
It was for a power lines company that wanted to monitor their transformer stations but decided to use fibre instead.

Then an accountant recently raised the question "Whats in this storage unit we keep paying for?"
The answer was the old I.T. guy requested it
So they tracked him down and he said its full of those radios they ordered and they asked if he could get rid of them so they could terminate the storage unit lease.

So he called me and hey presto

Unfortunatley he cant remember what model numbers are or anything.

But if i can use them as bridges then i will be happy.

Am quite excited
If i can offer the option for bridges to other buildings on a clients property to get around NLOS issues then it will be awesome.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to raytaylor
Any idea on how many?

Maybe you can sell a few to us less fortunate ha ha

raytaylor

reply to raytaylor
Boy am I happy

50x 5700SM CPE radios
6x 5700AP radios
2x GPS timing controllers and the related accessories

25x Canopy Parabolic dishes (with standard satelite mounting arm included)
50x Canopy J hocky stick mounts (50cm)

I could have got another 25x dishes but didnt have time to unpack them all, so i unpacked what i could to fit into the van and had to leave the other dishes.

Pretty pleased with it all. Am now going to go find out what they are capable of.

raytaylor

looks like cambium dont provide any firmware or a support section on their website for radios this old.

From a bit of googling, i understand i cannot pair them into point to point links for bridging buildings, or changing their modes.
Also cant find out how to update firmware.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
Firmware update requires the CNUT tool from their website. The SM's cannot be made into AP's like most other manufacturers can. One of the many 'features' that drove me away from Canopy. Access to the Downloads page requires a MAC address from a unit to allow you in. Try one of the AP's Mac's.

BTW The POE is NOT compatible with other manufacturers.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to raytaylor
I have firmware up to a certain version from 8.24-11.0 for DES units beyond that I dont have the "latest"

So if you need to get at least that far let me know I will post a link for you to download the firmware and I have the CNUT 3.20.13 tool too..

Hit me off line..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to raytaylor
Oh should also mention that I got burned on trying to jump across Too many major revisions... there's an upgrade path you need to follow.

IntraLink
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-14
Uath Valley
reply to raytaylor
Hey that's not too bad a haul!

The SM's are capable of 14Mbps aggregate throughput each.

The AP's are older and can only do 7Mbps aggregate, so it would be better to buy some more AP's that are 5750AP models instead of the 5700AP ones you have.

A single 5750AP will handle 50 or more SM's easily.

The website/company has changed for these radios, but the firmware and manuals and stuff are all current for them!

cambiumnetworks.com

Support:

»www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/···ndex.php

raytaylor

said by IntraLink:

The AP's are older and can only do 7Mbps aggregate, so it would be better to buy some more AP's that are 5750AP models instead of the 5700AP ones you have.

Thanks for the very useful tip - i shall start trolling ebay.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to raytaylor
Good haul, ray.