spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jdmatl

join:2000-04-27
Deerfield Beach, FL

[DTA] FL 33073- DTA for CH 2-12, Tivo S2 worthless?

I live in Coconut creek FL, 33073 zip code.

Got a letter from comcast about I think needing a DTA or STB to get channels 2-12. This is a big change from needing a DTA or STB to get channels 13 and higher.

I threw letter away, but doesn't this mean my Dual tuner Tivo Series 2 built-in tuner is now worthless? I already have a STB all the other channels. so now I have a Single tuner Tivo.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
You have assessed the situation correctly. ClearQAM, even for the basic tier channels is going away as systems convert to having all channels encrypted.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to jdmatl
I think the letter is that they are dropping analog channels. I don't think Comcast is going 100% encrypted yet, although the FCC has said they can now do so.

If your Tivo can tune ClearQAM, that should still work for awhile. If it only has analog tuners, then you will need an external DTA or similar to do the tuning.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by andyross:

If your Tivo can tune ClearQAM, that should still work for awhile. If it only has analog tuners, then you will need an external DTA or similar to do the tuning.

FYI: Tivo Series 2 is analog only, so it cannot be used with digital cable without a DTA or full blown cable box.