Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

1 edit

Gimli

Premium Member

Commmonnnnn Upload!! - At the cost of stability

Click for full size
Looks like Robbers is prepping Sauga for the upload bump!
It has not been without many frustrating days of disconnects and "ranging response abort" errors....

but....

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Re: Commmonnnnn Upload!!

Very sweet!

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

We will see how long it takes to be passed on....
but the QPSK and the 64 QAM are where we need to be.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to Gimli

to Gimli
This upload increase is waaaaaaaaay overdue.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Gimli

Premium Member

to Gimli
Don't get your hopes up... some of us have had 4x64QAM upload since the beginning of the year...

Rogers first has to make it official for their subs, then there's the mandatory ignore-TPIA period, and even then we'll only get maximum of 3mbps up on extremes, since thats all they have to speedmatch and they still refuse to offer higher tiers on non-aggregated...

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

3mb up is good for me stuck here @ 1mb
better than nothing right?
Expand your moderator at work

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Gimli

Premium Member

to Gimli

I'll take the 3Mbps up, as that is a 300% increase in upload speed. Here is SW Kitchener I'm just seeing 16QAM on my 4 channels up on my DCM475.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Gimli

to Gimli
I would take 2mb up at this point..

1mb should be min across the board... I could care less about faster downlink speeds at this point..
Expand your moderator at work

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to Gimli

to Gimli

Give me 7 megs up or give me death!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

2 edits

TwiztedZero to Gimli

Premium Member

to Gimli
Meanwhiles just to take your collective minds off upload/download rates that we're stuck with right now, and take a peek into the future.

We're allready hearing about DOCSIS 3.1 on the intarwebs re: Docsis 3.1 Targets 10-Gig Downstream at the SCTE Cable-Tec Expo in Orlando, Florida just the other day.

• 10Gbit/s downstream and 1Gbit/s upstream
• 24 downstream channels and eight upstream channels (bonding)
• Works on existing hybrid fiber/coax (HFC) plant (backwards compatiblity)
• Higher orders of QAM modulation

CableLabs expects to complete the core Docsis 3.1 specifications in 2013 and anticipates seeing initial products as early as 2014.

Any guess to when we'll see these up here huh? I'm going to take a stab at maybe an entire decade, and thats not even taking into account the possible cost to your average intarweb plan by then. Can we hope for a paradigm shift?

The SCTE Canadian Summit March 27-28, 2012 Toronto.
Toronto Congress Centre, North Building

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gimli

Premium Member

to Gimli
Fail....

The upstream spectrum from 5-42mhz its what going to kill the upstream potential of cable....downstream, it can just about blow anything out of the water...I mean, 500+mhz of spectrum would never happen in Canada with most Rogers areas I believe topping out at 1ghz, and most of the smaller areas @ 860mhz or 750mhz you won't see those kinds of speeds ever...too much eating into the cable tv space.

To decide not to move the upstream spectrum, and I understand why they're not doing it because it would require a complete plant rebuild to accomodate it...but its ultimately going to be their undoing if people demand upload....which I don't know is going to be the case, we demand upload because we're techies...but I don't think the average consumer is worried about upload at this point...sure pictures and movies may be relatively slow to upload to youtube, but they're not frustrated at this point...

Again, having 4 bonded channels doesn't mean new upload speeds are coming...at all. The only way you're going to see true upload speeds is if the cable nodes only pass 50 houses for each node...which would be crazy expensive for the cable companies to roll out.

Anywho, they're going to change the modulation as well, so...that'll turn everything upside down (from reading the article)
this won't flush out for years though...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Except that they won't have to rebuild the cable plant, they'll just have to swap line cards for 3.0/3.1 hybrid ones, it certainly won't be cheap either way. They're designing Docsis 3.1 to work with current HFC technology on purpose. But yes Canadians likely won't see any of this for years to come.

Plus we're still haunted by the spectre of aggreated POI's for TPIA services, I fear 'unlimited' plans may vanish under that particular regime.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

I'll take the 3Mbps up, as that is a 300% increase in upload speed. Here is SW Kitchener I'm just seeing 16QAM on my 4 channels up on my DCM475.

Actually if you go from 1 to 3, that's only a 200% increase

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

Click for full size
Now what is a fail is another 14 disconnects since 7am this morning.
In between disconnects directly after the "ranging response aborted message" I caught the following.... compared to the stable screen above.

Nooo Rogers isn't screwing anyone up......
Gimli

Gimli

Premium Member

Edited title of post to more accurately indicate content.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

said by Ree:

said by creed3020:

Actually if you go from 1 to 3, that's only a 200% increase

Math never was my strongpoint. Ty for the correction.
said by Gimli:

Lol I noticed you change that too and had a chuckle

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gimli

Premium Member

to Gimli
said by Gimli:

You went from 47dbmv on the upstream to 51dbmv....exciting lol....

Anywho, that's what people get with bonded channels and a cable plant that isn't 100% clean....its like lemmings...if you had only 1 upload channel, you'd probably be ok and wouldn't get disconnects.

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

Re: Commmonnnnn Upload!! - At the cost of stability

Yah, well I have had 68 disconnects since 6:40am this morning. It is currently 7:21 pm.

I am about to snap.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

we demand upload because we're techies...but I don't think the average consumer is worried about upload at this point...sure pictures and movies may be relatively slow to upload to youtube, but they're not frustrated at this point...

Speak for yourself. Reality states otherwise. There are more than enough non-techies never mind techies frustrated by the current situation with ridiculously low upload speeds and would kill for something faster. The year isn't 2002 anymore...

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by nitzguy:

we demand upload because we're techies...but I don't think the average consumer is worried about upload at this point...sure pictures and movies may be relatively slow to upload to youtube, but they're not frustrated at this point...

Speak for yourself. Reality states otherwise. There are more than enough non-techies never mind techies frustrated by the current situation with ridiculously low upload speeds and would kill for something faster. The year isn't 2002 anymore...

I stand by my original comment, if I go to 9 of my friends, 9 of them will say, I don't care about upload, I want my movies/tv/games/whatever FAST.

Again being the tech guy for most of my friends and family, they never say to me "man my upload is so slow" or "pictures take so long"...I haven't heard that comment at all, so again I'll say download is still on the minds of the majority of the populace...although that being said, most people are still price concious...if the cable co's could offer you 10x the upload at say 5x the price, would you go for it? Probably not.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to Gimli

to Gimli
said by Gimli:

In between disconnects directly after the "ranging response aborted message" I caught the following.... compared to the stable screen above.

Hang in there - Rogers did the same in my area few weeks ago, but they fixed it in about 48 hours and no problems since.

If you look, you will notice that your Power Level on the upstream is way too high, which, I believe, is causing the disconnects for you.

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

said by Sanek:

said by Gimli:

Hang in there - Rogers did the same in my area few weeks ago, but they fixed it in about 48 hours and no problems since.

If you look, you will notice that your Power Level on the upstream is way too high, which, I believe, is causing the disconnects for you.

It is fluctuating like crazy. It still is within spec ( docsis requires 58dbmv Max) They are def. screwing around - because even over the last 2 days it has risen from 45 dbmv to 50 dbmv on one of the upstream channels this morning.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

I stand by my original comment, if I go to 9 of my friends, 9 of them will say, I don't care about upload, I want my movies/tv/games/whatever FAST.

Again being the tech guy for most of my friends and family, they never say to me "man my upload is so slow" or "pictures take so long"...I haven't heard that comment at all, so again I'll say download is still on the minds of the majority of the populace...although that being said, most people are still price concious...if the cable co's could offer you 10x the upload at say 5x the price, would you go for it? Probably not.

I also don't hear anybody complaining about upload speeds. But the same people not complaining about upload speeds ARE complaining about how long it takes to send pictures. The issue is the non-techies don't know that the two are related.

So if I go to 9 of my friends, and I tell them I can either double their download or their upload (and I explain what that means), 8 of the 9 will say double the upload. (The only iffy being the guy on 6mbit DSL, who may actually choose to double his download instead of his upload)
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to Gimli

to Gimli
said by Gimli:

said by Sanek:

said by Gimli:

It is fluctuating like crazy. It still is within spec ( docsis requires 58dbmv Max) They are def. screwing around - because even over the last 2 days it has risen from 45 dbmv to 50 dbmv on one of the upstream channels this morning.

What you see is a snapshot of the values when you viewed the page. I think that it spikes beyond the max at some point and thats when you see the problems.

Gimli
Premium Member
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

said by Sanek:

What you see is a snapshot of the values when you viewed the page. I think that it spikes beyond the max at some point and thats when you see the problems.

No doubt - I just happened to catch it at that moment when it aborted the ranging and was about to reboot itself.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by Gimli:

said by Sanek:

No doubt - I just happened to catch it at that moment when it aborted the ranging and was about to reboot itself.

Yeah, I watched mine fluctuate for a coupple of days using the SB6120 logger (excel) thingy which in itself not half bad. What we need is a tool that does that as well as automagically do pingtests, speedtests, tracerts and whatever else all in one go for a certain period of time and saved to a comprehensive .txt file all prep'd for uploading to TSI Direct if need be. It can be a hassle doing all of these, especially if one is allready busy doing something else more important like actual work or spending time with family. *sigh*
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Ree

to Ree
said by Ree:

I also don't hear anybody complaining about upload speeds. But the same people not complaining about upload speeds ARE complaining about how long it takes to send pictures. The issue is the non-techies don't know that the two are related.

So if I go to 9 of my friends, and I tell them I can either double their download or their upload (and I explain what that means), 8 of the 9 will say double the upload. (The only iffy being the guy on 6mbit DSL, who may actually choose to double his download instead of his upload)

Exactly! Just because they don't know the two are related does not mean they're not frustrated by it.

34764170 (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

if the cable co's could offer you 10x the upload at say 5x the price, would you go for it? Probably not.

Why would I pay 5x the price for something I should be getting anyway?