spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aggybong

join:2002-07-26
Milwaukee, WI

[TWC] Standard TV limitations in SE Wisconsin?

I have internet and basic TV through Time Warner in Wisconsin. I have coaxial hooked directly into my TV (which has a QAM turner) but I don't receive Fox (channel 6.1) or NBC (4.1); it just says no signal. Other channels like CBS, ABC, and PBS work in HD and so do a very few others, though it's a far cry from the 70+ 'digital channels' their website claims.

I used the chat feature on the website and talked to a rep who kept telling me that those channels were provided 'free-to-air' by the government and that he couldn't tell me why they didn't work and couldn't offer any help. He recommended I get a cable TV box for an extra $20-$30 a month, which sounds ridiculously expensive to me for just standard service.

I don't want anything than local channels in HD and I've tried the antenna method with no success. I live in an apartment complex so options are limited.

Is there anything I can do?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
The 70+ digital channels, are if you subscribe and use a digital convertor box- from TWC..

I have my digital tube tv w/ QAM tuner in it.. it does pick up Fox, and NBC. [However, with limited basic service, TWC does install filters which very well could block out those signals unfortunately.]

Satch

join:2009-11-25
Statistics that I have read over the years show that about 90% of cable subs have Digital Boxes and a Digital Tier. Does TWC make just a standard analog cable box? My guess would be an just get an analog box. It should be only about $10 a month if available. I agree that $20-$30 is very high if you just want to watch OTA stations.

You could rent a cable card from TWC for $3.00 a month or so with no box. The tech can bring it out, install it, and you should be able to get about 80 analog channels without a box fee.

Satch

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to AMDUSER
said by AMDUSER:

The 70+ digital channels, are if you subscribe and use a digital convertor box- from TWC..

I have my digital tube tv w/ QAM tuner in it.. it does pick up Fox, and NBC. [However, with limited basic service, TWC does install filters which very well could block out those signals unfortunately.]

the filter you are talking about is for H.S.I customers only. Limited Basic customers will get locals in the clear for now.

In my area 10 of the 14 local ota HD channels are QAM carriers in the limited basic range of 2-29 and 95-99.

aggybong

join:2002-07-26
Milwaukee, WI
reply to aggybong
Well, I do have internet as well. The website shows: Basic Service, Standard service, Standard internet

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
reply to motorola870
TWC does use filters to limit what customers can get what channels [for analog tv anyways].. It it possible to have basic [essentially antena service] and have most channels blocked out; in addition to being able to have cable internet.