how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jostarr

join:2005-02-09
Lynchburg, VA

Dlink DWL-G710 wireless extender Help Needed

I have had this ranger extender working great for about 2 years.
I had to replace my modem yesterday, and now I am having problems that did not exist before. I changed the SSID to that
of the new modem, and kept the WEP the same as the new modem.

I see two wireless signals with the same SSID. And, my tablet can't seem to get connected at the distant location. It tries to connect, but never gets a DHCP address.

I didn't have this problem before. So, what did I do wrong with
the transfiguration?

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

I would check to see if the modem is using the same WEP password and working on a different channel possibly. If your using the DWL as a separate AP, then they need to be on different channels.

I would switch from WEP to WPA or WPA2 if both modem and DWL support these newer security modes. I would try using single mode G on the Modem if you don't need modes A or B. No reason to broadcast them if they are not being used.

Any other WiFi routers near by? Use InSSIDer application to find out. Could be other interferences causing issues. Put Modem and DWL on a open and clear channel.

jostarr

Lynchburg, VA

Thanks for your reply. What is the difference between using the DWL as a separate AP or a range extender? My intent is to use it such that an iPod, tablet or laptop would have seamless wifi coverage when moving about inside my house. I have set it up on the same channel as the wireless router, and I use the same WEP password. I can see the signal strengths on both devices change as I move about the house.

My understanding is that if the DWL is configured correctly, then, an IPod, tablet or laptop should automatically and seamlessly switch to the stronger wifi signal. Is this correct?

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to jostarr

»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50738.0

AP can be used as well to extend the range using same SSID and Password...

jostarr

Lynchburg, VA

Right now I am using a Linksys WAP as an access point. If I configure it with the same SSID, channel and WEP as my Verizon router, it never gets connected. It say "waiting for DHCP Ip address".
Same problem as is my original post. What is causing this to happen?

But, when configured using a different channel, the tablet can connect, but not in a seamless manner like a range extender should do. I have to manually acquire it from my tablet internet settings.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to jostarr

when using in AP modes the channels have to be different. They can not be the same. If your Device isn't seamlessly roaming from one signal range to another, thats a device issue as it's probably failing to automatically switch to the stronger signal...

jostarr

Lynchburg, VA

I have several iPods, 2 iPhones, and 2 Acer 500 Tablets. I do not think any of them automatically switch to the stronger signal. If they did switch, how could I be sure?? The signal strength indicators on these devices leave a lot to one's imagination.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to jostarr

Look at the host routers wireless status page, it should give you a listing of what wireless devices are connected when your in it's wireless range, then travel to the DWL AP say 4 ft way or bit closer. Leave the device there then go back to the host router and review the wireless status report again, if the device can switch to the stronger signal of the DWL, then it should have connected to it and left the host routers wifi connected and it should be closed and no longer listed as a connected device. If you still see the device listed in the host routers wireless status list, disable the devices wireless, turn it OFF then back on. Then check the host wireless status page. It should be gone. If your having to turn off the wireless devices then back on, might mean they are not automatically switching to stronger signal.

jostarr

Lynchburg, VA

Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly try that approach tonight or over the weekend and report back.

I think my iPhone is switching to the stronger signal. Upstairs, it was logged into the Linksys AP. But when I went to the basement, it
was logged into the Verizon Router. I saw this by checking Settings, then WiFi.