uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

"Optimum App for Android" gone

What used to be the "Optimum" app for the Android OS no longer appears in Google Play. It's been replaced with the "Optimum DVR Manager" app. Did CV just give up on Android for live tv and remote control functionality?

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

Re: "Optimum App for Android" gone

said by JohnILM:

What used to be the "Optimum" app for the Android OS no longer appears in Google Play. It's been replaced with the "Optimum DVR Manager" app. Did CV just give up on Android for live tv and remote control functionality?

They didn't give up, they renamed the current app to match what it does.

From what I heard, the app that will allow live streaming on android (handhelds) has a tentative launch date of 10/31.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
Tuckahoe, NY

said by cabletecht:

Was hoping it was that. My only worry was that why would they bother to rename it if the fully functioning app was 'just around the corner'. Made me think they decided to scrap the project and didn't want to confuse people any more.

Thanks for the info!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by JohnILM:

said by cabletecht:

Was hoping it was that. My only worry was that why would they bother to rename it if the fully functioning app was 'just around the corner'. Made me think they decided to scrap the project and didn't want to confuse people any more.

Thanks for the info!

They probably got sick of people giving 1* ratings because they were too stupid to read the description.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

You're likely right LOL

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to JohnILM

Many of the one star ratings I saw mentioned that they didn't include live streaming. I think it's fair of people to make that claim and give it one star. Including it in the description doesn't absolve them from not making an app comparable to the iOS/Kindle/laptop version ... especially with the same name. It makes sense for the more android than iOS users to be upset.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

That's like rating a pdf reader 1* because the company puts out another app that is a .ppt viewer, and the pdf reader doesn't view .ppt files. The app does not do live TV, and it clearly states what it does. By not calling it "Optimum App" and calling it what it is, it gets rid of any reason besides "DVR manager not working" for people 1*ing the app.

Not to say the Android version of the iOS, Kindle Fire, and PC/Mac isn't long overdue (it is - and I'm an Android user), but the app has always been a web DVR manager and that's what it should be rated as. If an app has a missing feature that is in the vein of what it does, I'd say it's fair game. Another example of what I mean is that I wouldn't vote down the iOS app, for example, for not allowing you to watch DVR+ content you recorded even though it's not on a physical box.

Jalh

join:2006-09-06
Union City, NJ

1 edit
reply to frdrizzt

Quite honestly, people are giving 1 star because they want the same app the kindle fire and IOS devices have. Not because they were legitimately surprised that the app doesn't have live stream. The one star is more of a way to complaint of the unfair treatment rather than as I said before, a legitimately surprise.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to frdrizzt

It's not really like your pdf reader example. It's more like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 coming out for PS3 with online play, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 coming out for XBox without online play. Now the big difference is that this app is free, so what can you do. When you have something called the "Optimum App" and it does certain things on iOS/PC/Mac/Kindle it's fair to expect that it'll do pretty much the same on Android. Moreover, considering how long it's been on iOS, it's understandable how many people with Android phones and tablets are fed up. I use the iOS version, so this technically doesn't affect me, but I still think it's ridiculous how long it has taken. (The same thing that happened with Netflix).

I agree, though, that now that it is actually called the "Optimum DVR Manager", there's no viable reason to rate it 1* for not having official "Optimum App" features.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to cabletecht

said by cabletecht:

From what I heard, the app that will allow live streaming on android (handhelds) has a tentative launch date of 10/31.

Obviously it was tentative and obviously there are bigger problems right now in the Cablevision footprint (godspeed hurricane victims), but the date has come and gone.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY

All projects have been on hold for almost a week, and will be on hold through at least 11/7.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to cabletecht

said by cabletecht:

Any idea if this will be via an 'update' to the now Optimum DVR Manager app, or will it be a whole other app?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to JohnILM

What annoyed me is that I couldn't use it to simply look up TV listings. Why not? Because I don't have DVR service! That's dumb.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

If you launch the app and choose "Don't Have an account? Try It Now" it works for that. It probably uses IP geolocation data to approximate your local area, so lineup won't be correct 100% of the time (or maybe it just assumes Nassau County lineup since they're centered there, I didn't check). I agree that it should work for that when signed in though.

Also, the hold is through 11/12 now, updated from my previous statement of 11/7.

justgeegz

join:2012-11-07

I was pretty disappointed to download the app to find out it does not work with DVR Plus.