how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mloiterman

join:2001-10-09
Chicago, IL

$250 fee to upgrade to 105 from 50?

I'm trying to upgrade to the 105 from 50. I'm in Chicago and they're telling me it's a mandatory visit from the tech and $250. They refuse to budge on either item.

Has anyone been successful in getting them to waive the fee or skip the tech visit?

They both seem sort of unjustified given that they're upgrading people from 50 to 105 in other regions by just doing a modem reprovision, if I'm not mistaken.

Sadly, I'm in the Chicago area with no viable competition so it will likely be a LOOONG time before the upgrade me as they're doing for others in other areas of the country.

Appreciate the input.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

As you were told the $250 fee is required. They did do upgraded in the North East but as you know, that was primarily due to Verizon's FiOS speed increase.

I doubt very much you'll get anyone that's able to bypass the fee, especially in your location.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
reply to mloiterman

What if you cancel service and order new service? You might be able to get free install that way.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to mloiterman

Some people have been able to skirt the (bullshit) fee. It just takes persistence and/or a very helpful rep.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

er dp

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA
reply to Oedipus

Indeed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mloiterman

Out of curiosity, why do you need that extra speed? I think Comcast is imposing the fee almost as a disincentive to using so much bandwidth.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by andyross:

I think Comcast is imposing the fee almost as a disincentive to using so much bandwidth.

I disagree. Besides the unforeseen issues the tech may encounter verifying that the customer's connection is up to par for 105, there is the business end of what "this" type of customer can afford. Right or wrong; if a customer can afford the monthly fee for 105, why would they be concerned about the hefty installation fee? If I could justify getting 105, I would care less about shelling out $250 for an initial service charge. I want my connection 100%.

--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

mloiterman

Chicago, IL

I can afford the $250. But, given the choice between having it in my pocket or putting it into Comcast's pocket, I'd rather keep it.

Now, if Comcast were willing to waive the truck roll requirement, I'd probably be willing to pay $250 to have the new speed activated immediately. Of course, if there were issues, then I would expect Comcast to send a tech without any additional charge.

I don't think it's reasonable to pay $250, have to wait 5 days for the tech to come to my house, and then watch him call into the same call center to have my modem re-provisioned.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

It's simple:

1) Your choice to subscribe to Extreme 105/20
2) Comcast's terms requiring a $250 installation fee
3) Your choice to accept or not.

There is no choice to get the install free. You can certainly try.
This a premium service that has requirements. Simple as that.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Exactly, and the ONE user here not in the NE area saying they got the fee waived... Well, let me hand you a bottle of salt.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Oedipus

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

It's simple:

3) Your choice to accept or not.

There is no choice to get the install free. You can certainly try.
This a premium service that has requirements. Simple as that.

I wont argue with the first three points, but the necessity of the fee was completely negated when they upgraded all of the former 50/15 users in the NE to 105/20 without any apparent issues. The reality, or at least the reality that exists in the NE, is that the 105 tier has only one requirement over the 50 tier: the 105 boot file.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

And the reason Comcast did that to begin with... Competition.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

KitFox

join:2002-10-09
Denver, CO
reply to mloiterman

Not in that area, but I successfully have gotten the fee refunded based on a plethora of errors on Comcast's part. Part of the fee is that they theoretically send an advanced network tech who will set up Up To Five Devices on the Home Network For You. They sent out a basic tech who instead managed to nearly brick my $250 router.

Unfortunately, then when moving apartments, -another- $249 fee to keep the service at that level will be instated. Currently have recorded word from them that it will be refunded as well, but only because their alternative is to lose 75% of their monthly revenue from me after having it for quite a good bit of time and because I was able to hit all three fee points accurately.

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA
reply to Johkal

I didn't pay the install fee for xtreme105 and I live in west coast.
Mad?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Don't think anyone believes you, personally. LoL
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA

4 edits

EDIT: I changed my mind, I am deleting this post. I don't want him to get spammed with requests.

But for anyone who saw the picture I put up, go ahead and ask.

And to anyone who didn't, idc if you believe me.
Enjoying the speeds :3

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

No one is doubting you're on that speed tier. Only that you got there without the MANDATORY $250 fee. And no, ComcastSteve did not bypass the fee for you.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to mloiterman

I tried to get fee waived before upgrade but no cigar . I can say that fee was somewhat justified in my case since it took original tech and 3 maintenance techs the next day to get everything sorted out to get speed. In total 3 truck rolls to my house in 12 hours . Gas ain't cheap on those trucks.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

It's simple:

3) Your choice to accept or not....

You certainly describe how a company would operate if there were no competition.

The question to ask is, "would Comcast operate differently in a region where there is siginificant competition?"

At what point does Internet access become an Essential Facility?

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA

3 edits
reply to ExoticFish

I didn't pay the fee.
Simple as that, but idc if you believe me.

I don't even know why you would think I would be lying about something like this.

This is literally your logic:
"This guy didn't pay 250$, he must be lying, because, uh..."

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

said by JigglyWiggly:

I didn't pay the fee.
Simple as that, but idc if you believe me.

I don't even know why you would think I would be lying about something like this.

This is literally your logic:
"This guy didn't pay 250$, he must be lying, because, uh..."

it would be nice if you told us how you did it? ill make a short drive across town to hand my phone to you so you can call for me

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to camper

And your answer would be. I have fios available along with live in the northeast and lots of competition. Jiggly wiggly has none and he could get a free upgrade where i COULD not. Really in most areas the 105 tier is NOT just a simple boot file upgrade. It requires lineman to sign off on it. Knowing jiggly only had the 105 for two months or so and knowing comcast tho i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt have the charge show up yet. Im not so sure that going two months without being charged the upgrade fee means you actually skirted it.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to videomatic3

I think i remember when he got it and how he got it. If i remember correctly he went thru comcast steve. But just because he got it doesnt mean everyone gets it. It was fairly new than and maybe comcast wanted to try it in his area or something like that. Than again maybe they just made a mistake and forgot to charge him. Maybe he still gets a bill. In any case its a YMMV thing.

Expand your moderator at work

Oedipus

1 recommendation

reply to mloiterman

Re: $250 fee to upgrade to 105 from 50?

Poor Steve.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to JigglyWiggly

Just because you state you do not want to pay the fee doesn't prove they didn't charge it to you. It's very likely they didn't send out a truck, but the fee is another story.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

mloiterman

Chicago, IL
reply to mloiterman

I wouldn't mind paying the fee if I felt I was getting something in return.

Yes, I am getting the service, but isn't that what I'm paying the monthly service fee for? If they can't cover their costs and generate a reasonable profit without the fee, well, then it's kind of a bait and switch.

If, like one of the other posters, my installed required multiple truck rolls to get setup correctly, I'd gladly pay the fee. But, to pay the fee in the unlikely event that my install MIGHT require that kind of work is, in my mind, unfair.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. There isn't enough competition in my area for them to waive the fee for me.

Oedipus

reply to mloiterman

There isn't jack farts for competition in Pleasanton, CA either.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mloiterman

said by mloiterman:

Yes, I am getting the service, but isn't that what I'm paying the monthly service fee for? If they can't cover their costs and generate a reasonable profit without the fee, well, then it's kind of a bait and switch.

How is it bait and switch? They clearly state the install fee, do they not? I'm not arguing for or against the fee, just that it sure doesn't seem to be bait and switch. It's not as if they claim a $0 install fee, then try to charge you $250 when they send the first truck.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm