share rss forum feed

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

3 edits
reply to ExoticFish

Re: $250 fee to upgrade to 105 from 50?

I didn't pay the fee.
Simple as that, but idc if you believe me.

I don't even know why you would think I would be lying about something like this.

This is literally your logic:
"This guy didn't pay 250$, he must be lying, because, uh..."

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

said by JigglyWiggly:

I didn't pay the fee.
Simple as that, but idc if you believe me.

I don't even know why you would think I would be lying about something like this.

This is literally your logic:
"This guy didn't pay 250$, he must be lying, because, uh..."

it would be nice if you told us how you did it? ill make a short drive across town to hand my phone to you so you can call for me

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to camper

And your answer would be. I have fios available along with live in the northeast and lots of competition. Jiggly wiggly has none and he could get a free upgrade where i COULD not. Really in most areas the 105 tier is NOT just a simple boot file upgrade. It requires lineman to sign off on it. Knowing jiggly only had the 105 for two months or so and knowing comcast tho i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt have the charge show up yet. Im not so sure that going two months without being charged the upgrade fee means you actually skirted it.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to videomatic3

I think i remember when he got it and how he got it. If i remember correctly he went thru comcast steve. But just because he got it doesnt mean everyone gets it. It was fairly new than and maybe comcast wanted to try it in his area or something like that. Than again maybe they just made a mistake and forgot to charge him. Maybe he still gets a bill. In any case its a YMMV thing.

Expand your moderator at work

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to mloiterman

Poor Steve.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to JigglyWiggly

Just because you state you do not want to pay the fee doesn't prove they didn't charge it to you. It's very likely they didn't send out a truck, but the fee is another story.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

mloiterman

join:2001-10-09
Chicago, IL
reply to mloiterman

I wouldn't mind paying the fee if I felt I was getting something in return.

Yes, I am getting the service, but isn't that what I'm paying the monthly service fee for? If they can't cover their costs and generate a reasonable profit without the fee, well, then it's kind of a bait and switch.

If, like one of the other posters, my installed required multiple truck rolls to get setup correctly, I'd gladly pay the fee. But, to pay the fee in the unlikely event that my install MIGHT require that kind of work is, in my mind, unfair.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. There isn't enough competition in my area for them to waive the fee for me.

Oedipus

reply to mloiterman

There isn't jack farts for competition in Pleasanton, CA either.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mloiterman

said by mloiterman:

Yes, I am getting the service, but isn't that what I'm paying the monthly service fee for? If they can't cover their costs and generate a reasonable profit without the fee, well, then it's kind of a bait and switch.

How is it bait and switch? They clearly state the install fee, do they not? I'm not arguing for or against the fee, just that it sure doesn't seem to be bait and switch. It's not as if they claim a $0 install fee, then try to charge you $250 when they send the first truck.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to ExoticFish

I know how to check a credit card bill

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

My point is you're not proving anything to anyone on here.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Oedipus

I don't know why him not paying the $250 is so hard for you to believe.

mloiterman

Chicago, IL
reply to pflog

The definition of a bait-and-switch:

1. Customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at one price. This is the ~$120 monthly service fee for 105/20.

2. Customers discover that the product or service is not available at the advertised price and are "switched" to a costlier product or service. This is where the $250 fee comes in which makes the real cost of the service ~$20/month more than the advertised price.

The prices Comcast shows in big bold letters, at least in my area, do NOT include the additional fees. Although, they're undoubtedly mentioned somewhere in very, very small type.

Wikipedia says:

"The goal of the bait-and-switch is to persuade buyers to purchase the substitute goods as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs expended to try to obtain the bait."

I'll leave it up to you to decide if you think this is bait-and-switch or not.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Oedipus

Because he's not in the NE and it's a mandatory fee.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to mloiterman

Those all assume one has already purchased and is now stuck with said bait.

The installation fee was known to you BEFORE you could order, yes? It's also clearly mentioned in their FAQs:

»speedtest.comcast.net/faqs/faqs.php?faq=24
--

Oedipus

reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Because he's not in the NE and it's a mandatory fee.

If only the world were that black and white...
Expand your moderator at work

mloiterman

Chicago, IL
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

Those all assume one has already purchased and is now stuck with said bait.

No, they do not.

"bait and switch: a sales tactic in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced item but is then encouraged to buy a higher-priced one."
- Webster's Definition

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

The install fee is well documented, it's not their fault you didn't do your homework.
--