uniqs
share rss forum feed

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to ke4pym

Re: Keeping (upgrading) to (current) code - when does it apply?

In my parts, people will tear down an entire house except for one wall so the work only qualifies as a remodel.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

said by jjoshua:

In my parts, people will tear down an entire house except for one wall so the work only qualifies as a remodel.

That still requires a payment to the inspector.
I do know a few times in the past especially during the housing boom there where clean sweeps of inspectors for pulling garbage in various places in AZ.

Or get paid to replace light bulbs.
»Re: LED lightbulbs

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

Around here, it's common to leave two walls standing; so that it's a renovation, rather then new construction... It allows existing lot coverage and setbacks to be maintained; even if they don't meet current requirements.

To the OP - I'm not familiar with your codes or region... Here, it's "substantial modification" that will trigger having to bring something into current code; and it really is upto the AHJ/inspector, as a judgement call...

Basically, if you could reasonably bring it into current code as part of the work you're doing, they expect you to do so...