spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

desgnconcpts

join:2003-09-24

1 edit

[Speed] 25mb speed only 0.4mbs in Lincoln Park!

Can a tech fix this please -- have a Moto SBG6580 DOCSIS3 modem, always got great speeeds.

Since we were upgraded to 25mb service, speed is horrible, 0.4mbs and transmit power of 53 which says it is out of range on RCN speed test site.

let me know what info you need to fix

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

desgnconcpts

2 edits
Click for full size
RCN Speedtest Screenshot
Sorry and thanks for the reminder -- this is the correct
Encoded Mac:

4c09c9e95de8e19f05d4a7df440b4ae29f7f9210

Essentially, the internet connection does NOT work -- functioning at essentially ZERO -- pages do not load.

Please don't tell me it's the router -- ever since they "UPGRADED" service from the 10mb we had to the 25mb service, the internet connection has been worthless.

As you can see from this recent RCN speedtest -- some of the results are either out of spec or almost out of spec. Has to be a problem with the node we were put on when they shifted us over to this "higher" speed. Problem is, results like this speedtest are RARELY what we experience. Speeds are more typical in the 1mbps or less range, as our experience/frustration last night with 0.4mbps.

desgnconcpts

This is STILL an issue -- can one of the RCN support people please look at this? The info is above.

The connection will work for a while but sooner rather than later craps out and essentially crawls.

Based on the stats from the RCN speedtest, there has to be a problem with how we are fed the RCN signal -- one of the nodes or channels is a problem.

Thank you.

rcncares
Emilie
Premium,VIP
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA
kudos:1
Good morning. Sorry you are having a speed issue. Could you private message me with the name on your account and I can have someone take a look?

Thanks
Emilie

desgnconcpts

Thank you Emilie.
PM's sent and I know you have re-provisioned the modem. It sounds as if the tech did not set it up correctly in the RCN system.

I will PM you later to confirm but really appreciate your help!

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
I don't know what all Em is working on but your test history makes it look like your provisioning is fine. I am curious though since I see you have a SBG and nothing connected to the ethernet ports are you always testing over the wireless? Did you try changing wireless channels to see if that helps?
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Good Morning Bryan,

Thank you for checking in -- you helped me now almost 3 years ago when we were trying to decide on what hardware to buy. Just as an FYI, the Motorola has been a solid performer and it was only after the upgrade (when the tech physically came out and needed to re-provision the modem) that things went wonky.

To answer your question -- yes -- they have done this only via wireless. Since Emilie had their modem provisioned correctly, my daughter told me their speed has been much better and more consistent. Speeds have not dropped to a crawl as they did before this was done (down to 0.4 mbps).

Although I've given my daughter a network cable, I don't think it's ever been used!

Would changing the channel affect the power level? That was the only spec that seemed close to being out of line after the re-provisioning.

If yes, I would have to try that when I get down to their apartment and have time to make the change.

desgnconcpts

reply to desgnconcpts
Clearly, the problem is not fixed and I really do not believe it to be a problem with simply a wireless channel.

My daughter sent me these screen shots from the speedtest she took at 11pm.

Now I understand that speed will slow with cable internet, but not to these horrific speeds! There MUST be a problem with the node or whatever route their cable signal is taking.

Nothing has changed in their apartment -- same router/modem for last 3 yrs -- the only change was the RCN "upgrade" that was done. When they had 10mb service, it NEVER slowed to these horribly slow -- basically unusable speeds.

Can you folks check the route their signal is taking and see if you can either re-route or check the equipment along the way?

This is truly unusable for these 3 seniors in college -- for the most part, they cannot use the internet for anything! Here's the screenshots and as you can see, signal strength is again out of spec.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
Honestly I'm not ruling out a problem on our side so please don't take it that way. Believe it or not wireless channel can destroy performance at random times even though it's worked just fine in the past. For example our Office in Fallschurch, VA we can *NOT* run wireless N on anything between 1 and 6 and on channel 11 it's twitchy because of other wireless networks and an underlying carrier that you can only find on a analyzer.

We have a G unit that works pretty good but funny everyday between noon and 1 we will drop all wireless for about 2 minutes.

At my house it worked great until all the neighbors started getting wireless routers and now mine tanks (as does theirs).

That's the only reason we ask about testing via ethernet it's just a check that helps us to narrow down where to look.

Now I realize I also looked at the wrong chassis yesterday I looked at newton, MA which is well certainly not Chicago so I gotta check that again.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Morning Bryan,
That sounds bizarre to me but with technology, I guess anything is possible! I will have to ask if they can find the network cable (I'm sure you know that will seem like I'm making them do something from the stone age), plug in one of their computers and run the test.

Their building is only a 3 flat, so it's not like they are in some big complex -- with a 2 flat next door on 1 side and a single family on the other.

I am hoping you can check their connection route though -- this only started happened AFTER the RCN upgrade took place -- it's the only thing that changed. I"m assuming that was due to more fiber and faster speeds becoming available.

If you can't find anything, it's possible I would not be able to get any more test data back until the weekend after this one (that's when I will have a chance to go there). I'm afraid they won't be able to find the network cable I know is there!

desgnconcpts

reply to desgnconcpts
Click for full size
Click for full size
Speedtest screenshots with ETHERNET -- please note -- the TRANSMIT POWER is still out of spec!

Although these speedtests show as good -- I will say my daughter tells me her screens do NOT load, she gets almost constant time wheeling (her and her roommates have Macbooks -- 2 have iPhones, 1 with an Android phone).

ALL devices exhibit the same problem. Plugging in only verified for me that although the speed tests in this case look good, there is some other problem in that they cannot reach websites without a great deal of grief (= a lot of time to reach their school's website for homework downloads; my daughter could not even reach Yahoo mail).

All of these websites are up and running -- reached by me from home with ATT DSL service. Again, there HAS to be some other issues going on with their routing/node/whatever that is causing this problem.

I am exceptionally frustrated as it seems clear to me there is a problem on the RCN side that needs resolution.

desgnconcpts

reply to desgnconcpts
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Update - Thursday, 7-ish pm 10/25/12

Confirmed/resolved the wireless connectivity problem -- Bryan, as you suggested, I had my daughter check and tell me how many other wireless networks showed up in her Airport connection. It was over a dozen!

We changed the channel and instantly had wireless access that did not get interrupted. Evidently, since they moved in about 3 yrs ago, the # of wireless networks multiplied like mad. They now have solid, consistent signal.

As to the connection -- please check the routing from your equipment to her connection. I have included screen shots: 1) from the Motorola device showing channels, signal levels, etc. 2) from the latest RCN speedtest cabled up.

As noted earlier -- the specs look OK EXCEPT for the Transmission Power. From everything I've read and understand -- since nothing has changed at her small building, it MUST be either the connection coming in to the building from the utility pole OR somewhere else further upstream.

Hoping you can clear this problem for us without having to have a tech go inside -- but let me know regardless so they can get back to using the service without the hiccups we've been experiencing.

Thanks

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

Ok so glad the wireless thing worked out. But yea there have been a few threads on wireless performance and stuff and the problems that are becoming more and more common with it. But sadly there isn't much you can do about it. Well even that's not true a higher end router with external high gain antenna's can be a great asset at times. But I understand why most won't up and run about it.

So now onto problem #2, we've got a monitor on your modem and it showed some "bad" things yesterday, but that may have been during the times your daughter was messing with it or doing something else. I can't say for sure but since that all stabilized it's been really solid. The 50db TX while it is high and basically max you really should be ok except in the case of an outage or something else externally to the dorm changing. Now even simply something like putting the router on a different splitter in the apartment can help to bring that down remember every split point is going to lower the TX level. I'd like to continue watching the unit over the weekend though before I go sending anyone to fix something at-least then I can tell them possibly what they are looking for.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

1 recommendation

Hi Bryan,
Thank you for the update and your help.

Just as an FYI, it's not a dorm but a 3 flat near school. I can tell you this for sure: we have done nothing in terms of adding any kind of splitters or extra wire/cabling. The unit was a rehab and wired from the beginning for cable access -- so the wiring inside has not changed. The only things that could have changed are things like cable from pole to the building and/or whatever drop boxes, etc are used along the way.

That's why this has been frustrating -- it used to work fine (kind of like the wireless aspect I guess) but something has changed external to anything in the apartment building.

I suspect that you may still end up rolling a truck next week to look at those things like connection at the pole and whatever else downstream.

Again, your help is GREATLY appreciated! I had to walk them through a channel change and confirmation of some other stuff over the phone. Thankfully my daughter is very sharp and was able to get the channel change accomplished without much drama.

desgnconcpts

reply to negativeduck
Bryan,
Re those "bad things" -- my daughter told me this evening that between the hours of about 8pm and 11pm, they lost all internet connectivity AND cable tv.

I highly suspect this will coincide with what you saw recorded -- again giving rise to a problem outside of their building somewhere along the signal chain. I'm hoping you can still get the right people to look into this and get their power # down from where it is now.

I'll post back if I hear anything more over the weekend.
Thanks!

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

Digging myself out of the hole from Last week...

Got it found it.. Sent information and stuff over to the local Chi guys to see if they can find the source.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Bryan,
Thank you -- you guys have all been very helpful. I think things are better but their tests do show a high power level that's close to out-of-spec. If you hear back from the Chicago folks, be sure to let me know.

desgnconcpts

reply to negativeduck
Bryan -- just got a text from my daughter -- their service has been totally out for over the past hour. This is Internet AND Cable TV -- clearly something is wrong with however they are being fed signal.

I believe one of the girls has called tonight to make an appt for Thursday. However, my worry is that they will get told once again the problem is their Motorola Router/Modem (although that doesn't even have anything to do with their cable tv setup).

Once we changed the channel on the wireless, that helped but this outage again has nothing to do with the Cable TV side being out. I have to believe it's all related (the transmission power almost being out of spec and them losing both services tonight).

If you have a really good troubleshooting crew/individual you can put on this to help resolve, I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
I'll see if I can find the work order make sure the Chicago guys know what's up here. Yea the issue is *not* your modem.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Thank you!
If you need any more information from me, please let me know.

desgnconcpts

Bryan,
Sent you 2 PM's re the latest episode. Appears as if RCN customer service said they were charging $9 for a "refresh" signal. The problem as I think you know is outside the building -- either the drop from the utility pole or further upstream.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
So couple things, first shot a note back over to Chicago to see where they stand. Now regarding the $9 fee I had someone from Customer service look and they could find no reference to this fee anywhere so it shouldn't be on your bill. They did see the troublecall was canceled on the 11/6 but there shouldn't be a for anything. Likewise the person I was speaking to had no idea what that fee could have even been in reference too atleast in this context.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Hi Bryan
Thank you for the follow up. I was in an all-day meeting, just now getting to go through my emails/messages.

Let me know what you find out re the Chi guys trying to fix their connection.

desgnconcpts

reply to desgnconcpts
Hi Bryan,

Just an FYI -- tonight their television signal was out -- internet was OK.

Can you find out what's going on with the Chicago guys? Would really like to not have this problem keep popping so often.

Thanks

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
Greetings, they got out there yesterday and re-balanced the amp. While that looks to have helped a pretty good deal we're going to watch it again. Put an updated tracker on it so we can see if that helps or if there is more to do.

Just wanted to follow up.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

desgnconcpts

Hi Bryan,
That's great news -- I will let my daughter and her room-mates know that you've taken an initial step and that might be all that's necessary.

I'll let you know if there are any more hiccups with either the TV or internet side of things.

Very much appreciate your help!
Thank you!

desgnconcpts

reply to negativeduck
Hi Bryan,

Well, we're not even 2 months down the road and the same problems have cropped up once again.

Wonder if you can put a search on the line again to determine what's wrong. Would sure like a permanent fix but maybe that's too much to ask?

Thanks for your help.

desgnconcpts

1 edit
Hello Bryan (or another RCN support person)

I have not heard back and we are still having issues with the internet service.

Here are the screen shots of upload/download. As you can see, dead in the water both ways with some of the specs "nearly" out of range and others seemingly OK.

modem mac removed