spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

cOOLguy

Unwanted Keyboard Delay after Installing SSD

I have windows 7 x64 and a logitech g110 keyboard.

After I installed the SSD, the system boots like lightning and the log on screen appears very quickly. However it takes another 5 or 10 seconds for keypresses on the keyboard to appear in the password field in the log on screen

.this tells me the log on screen was rendered before the keyboard driver is ready.

How can I fix this? (besides tossing the logitech in the trash and getting another gaming keyboard)

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

I wish I could help but I had the same thing happen to me. But for some reason it works fine now.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to cOOLguy

to cOOLguy
USB legacy keyboard option?

Try turning it on?

Thats all I can think of, sorry...

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by Aranarth:

USB legacy keyboard option?

Try turning it on?

Thats all I can think of, sorry...

Not relevant -- that BIOS option only applies to two things: the BIOS INT 09h handler and I believe an SMI handler (don't have details on this one). The intended goal is to allow legacy OSes (MS-DOS, etc.) and bootloaders (since they do not have any USB stack) to use USB keyboards. Welcome to why PC architecture is crap (just hacks atop hacks atop hacks).

Windows 7, especially by the time the login screen has appeared, already has a full USB stack loaded.
koitsu

1 recommendation

koitsu to cOOLguy

MVM

to cOOLguy
I don't really have an answer for this kind of problem. It's easier to debug/diagnose locally (in person) than remotely. There are a ton of possibilities as to why this is happening. Note that installing an SSD doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard, but the OS itself (keyboard handler included) may be ""stuck"" spending too much CPU time doing something else (such as handling I/O requests to the SSD) to handle USB keyboard input quickly. It could be something as stupid as Logitech's keyboard drivers doing disk I/O in a very bad/rude manner which appears as an issue when using SSDs rather than classic MHDDs. There's no way to determine this unless you know someone who can do kernel and device driver debugging, a la Mark Russinovich.

I would recommend temporarily uninstalling the Logitech drivers for your keyboard. The keyboard should still work/function as a "generic" keyboard. Windows will probably show some crap about "finding new hardware" (its simply discovering the keyboard as a HID device); let it do its thing and don't type/interrupt it. If after it finishes the issue is solved, great! The next thing to try after that is reinstalling the Logitech drivers. If the problem comes back, then you know what the problem is.

If after uninstalling the drivers the issue remains, then there is probably some other nasty problem going on (maybe I/O to the SSD is slow for some reason; broken SATA port, bad SSD that takes a very long time to do I/O?). If the SSD is extremely full (say 90% capacity used), then wear levelling / garbage collection won't work efficiently, and this is known to cause lots of I/O slowdowns. Windows 7 is notorious for doing I/O constantly "behind the scenes" which could be locking the system up.

Please note that you can't use your mouse cursor (moving it around) as an indicator that the machine is responsive during this problem. Meaning "its just the keyboard that does this, if it was the SSD locking up the entire machine it would affect the mouse too!" is wrong -- mouse cursor acceleration is done at a hardware level (specifically by your video card, all the way down to drawing the cursor itself), so entire portions of Windows can be locked up hard while the mouse cursor will still move smoothly.

Sorry to throw in an opinion, but I feel it's worthwhile: this is exactly why I do not use input devices that require drivers. The USB standard has a fully 100% support for HID devices of all kinds (keyboards and mice and gamepads specifically), meaning no drivers are needed for these devices to function. So it really pisses me off when I see keyboard/mouse products that require drivers. All those drivers do is waste CPU time and sit in between the USB stack and the keyboard handler in the OS itself, waiting to handle things like custom buttons for gaming or "Mute" or other things like that. I say all of this as someone who uses a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard -- without Intellipoint installed (cold day in hell before I'll install that garbage).

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to cOOLguy

to cOOLguy
The Keyboard driver should be loaded before the Video drivers so you should have not problems. In your case it seems something is wrong.

Here are a few links from a search for "Driver startup order" they are not win 7 but you should look in this area maybe find some info on Win 7.

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· %29.aspx

»support.microsoft.com/kb/115486

EDIT:
Here is a link to someone with a similar problem, i found many with this problem all having a Logitech Keyboard.
Search on "keyboard is not ready at login when booting from SSD"

»www.tomshardware.com/for ··· -startup

»www.tomshardware.com/for ··· g-screen
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

cOOLguy

Thanks very much. The usb keyboard also has jacks for a mic and headphone so removing and reloading everything seems like the only choice. Then Ill will probably disable the audio.