Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[OS X] [ML] Time machine...

So I finally upgraded my primary work Mac Pro to Mountain Lion... Partially cuz the main drive died that had Snow Leopard... I figured if I had to reinstall, I might as well do a clean install of ML and see how it works... Anyway so far everything has worked, I had a bit of fun time trying to import my Mail, but eventually figured it out...

Anyway I had another drive in the Mac Pro for Time Machine, and I'd like to keep it for a little while before erasing the contents, but I want to start backing up the new ML install... I tried renaming the backup folder on the drive, but it doesn't let me...

Is there a way to start backing up with Time Machine on a new setup, but still keep the old backups? I'm pretty sure if I select the same disk to use with TM it will erase everything.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I haven't used a physical TM disk in a few years, but I believe it'll create a new folder for the computer and leave the existing backups. You may have to change the computer's name in Sharing prefs so it's different than the old name.

I know when using a networked TM drive, it will not erase existing content.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to HiVolt

It will most likely start a new backup on it's own unless it asks you if you want to inherit the backup. Either way the existing data is not erased, even if it continues to use the old backup. However, if it does continue the old one then you won't be able to easily restore the machine to 10.6

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I'll just move the data over to a server and erase the TM drive and let it start fresh...

BTW, is TM drive bootable now, where it will boot to a recovery stage where you can reinstall OS X? I seem to recall hearing that this change was made in a revision of Lion...

If so, has anyone tried it?
--

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

I don't believe the TM drive is bootable but your recovery partition is and that should be able to access the TM drive for recovery.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to HiVolt

CTGrey is correct. The backup itself is not bootable. But you can boot to the recovery console and restore from there. (It's a hidden partition). If the drive fails completely current models have the option for Internet Recovery which will also allow you to restore from Time Machine Backups.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by kitsune:

CTGrey is correct. The backup itself is not bootable. But you can boot to the recovery console and restore from there. (It's a hidden partition). If the drive fails completely current models have the option for Internet Recovery which will also allow you to restore from Time Machine Backups.

It's a 2008 Mac Pro, so no internet recovery... I just thought it was bootable, for some reason... Maybe those were rumors...

In any case, I do have a physical DVD burned of Mountain Lion as well as the install image saved.
--