Aha, I found it:

»www.dropbox.com/s/xzbw1r ··· acct.jpg

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

What does the other end of that blue/yellow wire pair connect to?

and btw might be a good idea to edit/take down that photo -- it is your account number
wolfofone
join:2012-02-22
united state

wolfofone

That orange tag has my apartment number on the opposite side and that's my account #. It looks like its' connected to the right panel where it's numbered 12 and 13... not sure where the cable goes though, do I need to follow it?
wolfofone

wolfofone

Ah, okay I took it down, was not sure how sensitive that info would be heh.

Okay, I'll see if I can figure out where it leads after I grab something to eat Thanks for your help!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to wolfofone

Premium Member

to wolfofone
Follow the yellow/blue wire pair that is tagged to its other end -- that end pictured there is the IT binding post -- basically the end of AT&T's ownership of the wiring and the beginning of the building/customer wiring ownership

The other end of that yellow/blue wire pair and what it connects to pretty much determines why you don't have service
wolfofone
united state

wolfofone

Hmm okay. I can follow it for a bit but then it disappears in that mess of cables at the top in between the two punchdown boards -.-. I'll have to come back with a flashlight and try to see where it connects.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

My assumption to this point: The other end of that yellow/blue pair of wire connects somewhere on the 66 block to the left, which appears to be older phone wire for the building units, instead of the new blue-sheath cat 5 that runs to the punchdown in your unit

One of those blue sheath cat 5's at the phone room should be the one that goes to your unit. If that is the case, that yellow/blue wire pair needs to be connected/spliced to the blue pair of the blue sheath cat 5 that goes to your unit. Or if you have a punchdown tool, you could punchdown the blue pair of the blue sheath cat 5 that goes to your unit where the yellow/blue is punched down right now at the IT binding post

I cannot tell from those pictures if the blue sheath Cat 5s are identified at all - sometimes there is marker writing on the sheath with a unit number
wolfofone
united state

wolfofone

Hmm, sounds plausible I think a couple of the cat5e cables are marked but not all. I was only looking for tags though, i'll check to see if there is any unit # markings on the cables themselves. Will probably do it tomorrow as it's getting late. Good thing I haven't canceled comcast yet .

Hmm I don't have a punchdown tool, but I can try to borrow one. Punching down the cat5e sounds like a better solution that splicing the other wires..
wolfofone

wolfofone

Hmm they aren't marked on the cables themselves. There are some Cat5e cables that are marked with tags around them but none of them have my address on them . This sucks, I really don't want to pay $150 for a tech to come out when I have everything hooked up inside. Guess it would be simpler if it wasn't an apartment but was never mentioned during ordering that this might be a problem. Several of my neighbors have Uverse though... wonder if they had this issue.

Any idea when AT&T starts billing you for service? On the activation date?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Getting your own tone box, tone wand, and punchdown tool would probably start getting close to the $100 fee for a technician visit

I agree, it should be made more clear during ordering that on Self Installations, it is only AT&T's responsibility to get the signal to the NID/IT/MPOE, and beyond that point it is up to the customer, or it is billable work for AT&T to service the IW after the NID/IT/MPOE

If there is a sunny side, you do end up saving about $50 ordering the Self Installation and it failing with the $100 fee, as opposed to ordering a Full Technician Installation up front, which incurs a $150 fee

I guess you could try your apartment maintenance team, and see if they could ID your blue Cat 5, and they might even have the tone box, wand, and punchdown to do it
wolfofone
united state

wolfofone

Yeah, I was looking around to see what a toner and probe and punchdown tool would cost and it was getting up there..

I'll ask the apt office on monday if they can identify it, hopefully they can.

And to think I wanted to switch to save money, d'oh!