join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to DonLibes

Re: iMac 1TB Seagate Drive Recall Expanded

As long as you have everything backed up what else is there to do? Am I the only one that finds it kind of shitty they don't install the OS. The machine had one when it was purchased ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by not quite right:

As long as you have everything backed up what else is there to do? Am I the only one that finds it kind of shitty they don't install the OS. The machine had one when it was purchased ...

I'm sure they would if you asked them to. Anytime they replaced the harddrive in my laptops under AppleCare, it came with a fresh install.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

said by Thinkdiff:

I'm sure they would if you asked them to. Anytime they replaced the harddrive in my laptops under AppleCare, it came with a fresh install.

I asked that question and the agent said: No, the recall doesn't require us to install an OS. In fact, the agent specifically said that Applecare doesn't require this either. I checked the Applecare agreement and it says nothing about this situation.

Of course you're right that they *might* install an OS nonetheless. On the other hand, I'm still running 10.6.8 (I'm too cheap to give Intuit money for their Quicken-for-Lion "upgrade") so I don't want the latest OS. Would Apple even want to get involved with installing an old OS?

Now that Apple has pushed back this recall, I imagine a number of people will bring in iMacs with old versions of the OS. I doubt Apple wants to give them all free OS upgrades. I think I'll first experiment with my daughter's iMac (also recalled) which I did upgrade to Lion (but not ML).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by DonLibes:

said by Thinkdiff:

I asked that question and the agent said: No, the recall doesn't require us to install an OS. In fact, the agent specifically said that Applecare doesn't require this either. I checked the Applecare agreement and it says nothing about this situation.

I'd still make a big stink over this, just out of principle if anything.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24

1 edit
reply to DonLibes

I called and made a fuss about having to take it in again since i just had my iMac serviced a few days ago. The agent transfered me to a senior supervisor who was very helpful. I was able to get them to do the exchange at my house but he told me by going the in home route i'd have to instal the OS myself but if I took it to the Apple store they would do it for me as long as I had the original OS disk.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...