IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Need advice on LED light bulbs

I have two fixtures that use the small globe light bulbs. One is in the kitchen over the sink and the other is in the bathroom with a shower. I try to use CFLs and have successfully done so in the kitchen but they do not last in the bathroom. The bathroom does have a fan and I replaced the single switch with a duplex switch (the kind with two switches that uses an outlet faceplate) so I can control the fan and lights independently (so I can run the fan without the light to save energy).

When I use CFLs in the bathroom, the steam from the shower basically murders CFLs and incandescent bulbs last longer than CFLs. I am thinking of trying LED light bulbs but I do not want to waste $29.99 on bulbs that will be going in the trash in less than a year. The light uses small globe style bulbs (which were popular in the '80s when the unit was built).

I've even used good brands of bulbs like Sylvania and they still fail in the bathroom.

I am very picky about energy efficiency as we have high electric rates around here. I have already put LED light bulbs ($50 per bulb but i think a utility rebate kicked in and they rang up $25) in the security light on the back porch.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I am very picky about energy efficiency as we have high electric rates around here.

Curious, what are your "high" rates?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
What type of fixture is in the bathroom? Is it above the shower? Is it a sealed fixture? I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but depending on the answers it may be ultimately an easier route. FWIW, I've run name brand (but cheap) CFLs in the bathrooms here for about 5 years without issue - 2 have active showers.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

What type of fixture is in the bathroom? Is it above the shower? Is it a sealed fixture? I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but depending on the answers it may be ultimately an easier route. FWIW, I've run name brand (but cheap) CFLs in the bathrooms here for about 5 years without issue - 2 have active showers.

I use cfls above 2 showers with many years of use. Narry a problem.

When they burn out I will date them.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

What type of fixture is in the bathroom? ... Is it a sealed fixture?

Good questions. I suspect the premature failure may be related to (a lack of) heat dissipation rather than moisture.

An issue I might add that equally affects LED "bulbs".

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
The fixture is above the mirror over the sink. It is a decorative fixture that uses G25 bulbs.
IowaCowboy

1 edit

IowaCowboy to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

said by IowaCowboy:

I am very picky about energy efficiency as we have high electric rates around here.

Curious, what are your "high" rates?

I can tell you that the rates here are much higher than they are in Iowa. My former neighbor has electric bills in the $50-55 range (and he runs the AC in the summer non-stop due to breathing problems). Mine average about $90 in the summer (despite replacing bulbs with CFLs/LED but I do run window AC units quite a bit) and $225-250 in the winter (depending on the need for heating as we have electric heat).

I can see on your post that you are from California. I wish we had Title 24 (energy efficiency code) here in Massachusetts as energy costs are burning through my wallet. I have done a few of the requirements like installing an occupancy sensor in the kitchen (although it turns the light on during the day).

Edit: My electric bill last month was $88.78 for 833 kWh (and that is on the discount rate for people with disabilities and low to moderate income elderly).
My poco is Western Mass Electric.