uniqs

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

[General] NEW 4G addition to MS town, see these speeds!

SPEEDTEST.NET 4G VERIZON SPEEDS
(AS E-MAILED TO ME VIA THE SPEEDTEST.NET APP FOR ANDROID 4.0.4)

Test Date: Oct 11, 2012 7:40:37 pm
Connection Type: LTE

Server: New Orleans, LA
Download: 34.42 Mbps
Upload: 14.11 Mbps

Ping: 156 ms

External IP: 70.196.xxx.xxx
Internal IP: 192.168.157.1, 10.162.xxx.xxx
Latitude: 31.33295
Longitude: -89.35316

A detailed image for this result can be found here:
»www.speedtest.net/androi ··· 2751.png

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.
firepong
join:2006-08-08
Bay, AR

firepong

Yeah, I'm loving mine right now. I'm in Jonesboro, AR and I think they just upped the Backhaul to my tower or someone let off on there downloads

Before, I was getting ~15mbps down/~14mbps up. Now I'm getting the above constantly. I've topped out on downloading a linux distro at almost 4mb/s download. Took like 4 minutes to download a 700mb iso image

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

Well...I KNOW Hattiesburg, MS JUST got the upgrade 1 week ago. I've had my 4G RAZR since January and suffering with the 3G. I have had hints since June that we would be getting 4G in 3Q '12 via a weird bundling option with Comcast. Check this out:
»news.verizonwireless.com ··· 21a.html

ODD, but then again I know conservatively 150 people of the 45,000 residents, mostly Univ of Southern Mississippi students, and 2-3 of them have 4G equipped phones. SOOO...my guess is that the 4G "airwaves" are quite open and the backhaul is as open as well. I have YET to match those speeds again.
firepong
join:2006-08-08
Bay, AR

firepong

said by whamel:

Well...I KNOW Hattiesburg, MS JUST got the upgrade 1 week ago. I've had my 4G RAZR since January and suffering with the 3G. I have had hints since June that we would be getting 4G in 3Q '12 via a weird bundling option with Comcast. Check this out:
»news.verizonwireless.com ··· 21a.html

ODD, but then again I know conservatively 150 people of the 45,000 residents, mostly Univ of Southern Mississippi students, and 2-3 of them have 4G equipped phones. SOOO...my guess is that the 4G "airwaves" are quite open and the backhaul is as open as well. I have YET to match those speeds again.

Lol, I just ran 3 consecutive runs as well and just got this:

I had 1 spike upwards of 55mbps, but I dismissed that one, the next one was 52mbps and this one was the above. Gotta say, this is making me wonder just how much backhaul is on my current tower, which is less than a mile away from my house.

This is on their HomeFusion Broadband by the way and the installer said he had never seen someone with as high if a signal as I had on any of his installs (my signal was 97% The light on my little cantenna is always green, and never goes to blue lol)

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

I hate you now. I walked up to the top floor of my apt building, took off the phone case, and just hit the 5 bars threshold with a signal strength of -85dBm on the 4G side. Best I could get is what u see above.
HOWEVER I do know I am smack in the middle of two Verizon towers that are both approx 8mi away from me, so 16mi from each other. I do notice when i'm in my apt downstairs that the signal will drop quickly and go to 4 bars and then drop again and go to 3 bars and then go back, all the while staying 4G. (It only does this, once every 30mins or so)--found out it was switching only when I was using it as a 3G hotspot when I first moved down here, then I noticed it on occasion, if I was looking.
But now I only notice the change in towers when I look at the phone's status screen, and look at the IP address. I could be wrong, but a phone, staying on one tower, switching IP's, while having signal strength fluctuations, can only mean i'm switching towers. Since I use Comcast I can't give an accurate up-time with a single tower, since I no longer use it as a wifi hotspot. But the huge speeds I did get in my original post, I was less than a mile from the one tower on high(er) ground....while driving too.
I notice that while driving I always get much slower results.
OK enough of my rant, you have a better fiber backbone than I do....