uniqs

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA

Re: Verizon as a WISP

I just find it funny that just last year there were people arguing on here that Netflix and power useres were an unreasonable burden on the WISP.

Now its become the strategic advantage!

Just think, with a HD Netflix movie being up to 2GB you can run ads:

"WISP your favorite Netflix movies for $0 in extra fees, or pay up to $20 per movie in GB fees with Verizon"

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

It was a burden for WISPs that designed their deployments for the past several years with sub-1Mpps speeds out to 10 or 15 miles. The new WISPs can offer higher packages pushing 5 and even 15 Mbps in a 5 mile footprint.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

Jerm

said by WHT:

It was a burden for WISPs that designed their deployments for the past several years with sub-1Mpps speeds out to 10 or 15 miles.

Oh I definitely agree. I was on a DSL provider in the late 90's that decided it was a great idea to fit one-hundred 768kbps customers on a single Frame Relay T1. It kinda worked for a while, even back in those days when webpages were (less than) 1mb on average. They aren't in business anymore.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

"WISP your favorite Netflix movies for $0 in extra fees, or pay up to $20 per movie in GB fees with Verizon"

I like that

dongato17
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA

dongato17

Hey this is marketing speak. It should be more like avoid paying $60 for your next movie.

2GB/hr * 2hrs for a movie * $15/GB overage
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I think, sadly, there are many folks out there in rural land that do not have a WISP offering coverage. There are those that can connect to a Verizon cell tower, and this is a better option than satellite especially considering the much lower latency. Price and caps suck, but better than nothing.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT to Jerm

to Jerm
said by Jerm:

I like that too!
whoever
join:2006-03-13
Avon, CO

whoever to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Is there a way to resell the data service to our remote customers we can't hit and get a residual commission? Been looking for a master agent but can't find one. I can find them for business class applications, but not for residential customers.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I don't see Verizon cutting a deal like that with anyone

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by WHT:

"..we give them double for first month to let them be comfortable with the high speed experience ..."

said by Karl Bode :
Verizon's announcement also notes that customers who sign up for Home Fusion will receive double their usual data allotment for the first two months "[Verizon speaking] as they settle into using HomeFusion Broadband." Verizon pretty wisely doesn't want early product impressions focused on the second mortgage you may have to take out to pay your bandwidth bill.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yup, after those two "double data" months are over ... sticker shock
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
What I think is the worst part is the subsidy. Verizon (and others) built their wireless networks on the backs of USF funds while owning landlines. Then gets subsidies to built wireless networks also to non-servicable areas. Does any one see the racket here?

It's no wonder they give up or gave up on landlines. Now they won't get the subsidy to continue the racket to feed in to their other divisions.

I know to some I am just preaching to the quire. But, damn.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

sticker shock

Am thinking cardiac arrest.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

1 edit

Jim_in_VA (banned) to gunther_01

to gunther_01
you mean a "choir" .... I had to google it, had no idea how to spell it either lol ...but I get damn

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

"Talking to the hand" works too.
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

you mean a "choir" .... I had to google it, had no idea how to spell it either lol ...but I get damn

LOL. My fingers just go ya know. I do that all the time. I actually knew how to spell it. But yea, choir. And a hole lot of Dam hehe
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
The problem with Net Neutrality is the FCC has no power to enforce these as courts have already ruled. the FCC gave up on the Internet years ago when they ruled it as an information service and not a communications service. The same is happening with other land based products as more deregulation comes out.
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
Until they re-classify Internet access. So don't forget that they have this in place, and IF they were to ever re-classify, which some would like to do, then we are all in trouble.

I don't think any of the law suits have made it to a verdict yet either on NN. So, to some degree, we don't know what they can and can't do.

WHT
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

If carefully read the NN rules over, it's a gutless " nothing to see here, please move along" document. So many loop holes in the guise of reasonable network management.