Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Re: Issues with Bridged VPN

Click for full size
Here's a diagram - hopefully it's clear enough.

So the issue is when connecting devices to vlan4 at Site B. Ideally, I'd like to have the option of setting a static IP in the 192.168.1.160/28 space and having all internet traffic be routed by Router B.

If you use DHCP on vlan4, it should (and does) grab an IP address from Router A's space through the br0 and bridge0 combination. Then all internet traffic from the device will be routed by Router A using it's own public IP. While in this configuration, if I download a file from the Linux Server at Site A, I get full speed - no packet loss. If I download a file from any internet site, it's less than 1KB/sec and massive packet loss.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

Are the 2 static routes actually defined as they are shown in the diagram? (192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24) If so, have you ever tried defining them as the actual IP's of the 2 routers? (i.e.. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 ).

You've also mentioned some speed issues/questions. You'll be limited by the slowest portion of your 2 internet connections - which will be upload speed on one of the connections if you have ADSL or Cable. If you need more info about that then let us know.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Not sure your first point works. Wouldn't that only forward packets destined for that single IP address across the VPN? How would devices connected to 192.168.2.0/24 know how to reach 192.168.1.11 if the network was not defined in Router B's routing table?

For the second point, of course. site A is a fiber connection with plenty of bandwidth. Site B is 12/1 DSL. I was getting downloads stuck at 1KB/sec.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

yeah - you're right. momentary senior moment on my part I guess.