spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

[HELP] Cisco not Updating their IPS Signatures?

Is there any reason as to why Cisco is not updating their IPS signatures? Its been well over a year now.

»www.cisco.com/cisco/software/rel ··· e=latest

Thanks

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

3 edits
I guess that is a reason not to pay for IPS (subscribe, that is). Correction, it appears that there is no fee for download, but I agree that it seems to be a long time between updates. I downloaded anyway, and installed the update. BTW, I must have been confusing ProtectLink with IPS when it comes to subscriptions.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
So you downloaded from that same link I gave?
Or do you know an alternate site where I can download the latest IPS updates?

Thanks

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA

1 edit
No, I downloaded from the link you gave, but I also checked the Cisco site and drilled down to downloads for the WRVS4400N router to make sure I got the right signature. That seems to be the only file available. I am thinking that maybe they don't update IPS more frequently because if you want more protection, then you sign up for ProtectLink (which costs money)?

If you do a web search for "Cisco IPS signatures" you get the Cisco site for all IPS signature updates, but for the specific router, device, or application, you have to search through a long list. I did not find anything in that list related to the WRVS4400N.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

SlickEnW
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA
reply to slajoh01
if you search their community site there is a pretty long thread about the small business kit not getting any sig updates. people are pretty mad (as they should be).

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Isn't the old linksys 4400 well past EOL?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

That would be fair if it were called Linksys. But the WRVS4400N is branded as Cisco and did get Cisco support. I was able to call Cisco for support with regard to getting a DSL gateway (Verizon Business DSL) into bridge mode so as to work with the WRVS4400N. See below for EOL for this router:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ··· 313.html

According to that, EOL is in 2017. All support is ended then, including paid support.

However, after November 6, 2012, you can't buy one of these via point-of-sale, so buy one now if you want it.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.