spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

[HELP] Cisco not Updating their IPS Signatures?

Is there any reason as to why Cisco is not updating their IPS signatures? Its been well over a year now.

»www.cisco.com/cisco/software/rel···e=latest

Thanks

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

3 edits
I guess that is a reason not to pay for IPS (subscribe, that is). Correction, it appears that there is no fee for download, but I agree that it seems to be a long time between updates. I downloaded anyway, and installed the update. BTW, I must have been confusing ProtectLink with IPS when it comes to subscriptions.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
So you downloaded from that same link I gave?
Or do you know an alternate site where I can download the latest IPS updates?

Thanks

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA

1 edit
No, I downloaded from the link you gave, but I also checked the Cisco site and drilled down to downloads for the WRVS4400N router to make sure I got the right signature. That seems to be the only file available. I am thinking that maybe they don't update IPS more frequently because if you want more protection, then you sign up for ProtectLink (which costs money)?

If you do a web search for "Cisco IPS signatures" you get the Cisco site for all IPS signature updates, but for the specific router, device, or application, you have to search through a long list. I did not find anything in that list related to the WRVS4400N.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

SlickEnW
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA
reply to slajoh01
if you search their community site there is a pretty long thread about the small business kit not getting any sig updates. people are pretty mad (as they should be).

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Isn't the old linksys 4400 well past EOL?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

That would be fair if it were called Linksys. But the WRVS4400N is branded as Cisco and did get Cisco support. I was able to call Cisco for support with regard to getting a DSL gateway (Verizon Business DSL) into bridge mode so as to work with the WRVS4400N. See below for EOL for this router:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···313.html

According to that, EOL is in 2017. All support is ended then, including paid support.

However, after November 6, 2012, you can't buy one of these via point-of-sale, so buy one now if you want it.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.