Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

casscarr2002
Waterdown

join:2003-11-14
L0R 2H8

DIR-655 - 2 Units, 1 Gateway?

I have 2 DIR-655's as noted. 1 way down in the basement so upstairs and in our Master, the signal is very low and slow to the network unfortunately for our wireless devices.
I have put 1 upstairs in the office (hardwired) so ideally I could connect my upstairs wireless devices directly to that unit instead of all the way downstairs, of course I do not have a clue on how and if I can setup the upstairs office router to utilize it like a wireless switch. Any suggestions folks would be very much appreciated.

I will clarify that I can connect to it (by setting up an SSID and password of course), but it's not actually going through the network I don't think.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

Review this, it works:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

That will only work if you can have an Ethernet connection between the two wireless routers; I suspect that is not the case for the OP.

What the OP needs (based on my understanding of the OP's infrastructure) is either a standalone wireless repeater downstairs (instead of the wireless router), or a wireless (or powerline) bridge connected to the downstairs router (which probably should be configured as an access point as you suggested) to make the wireless connection to the upstairs router.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

casscarr2002
Waterdown

L0R 2H8

Link does not provide solution unfortunately, I have it about 90% there it seems, my wireless devices cannot connect successfully to the AP upstairs, Galaxy note says Authentication error and a few laptops just don't connect to it. I can however connect to the AP via network to make adjustments as needed.

I am whole home wired, so the AP (in the office) does in fact run straight down stairs into the router via cat6 ethernet (AP to wall outlet down to basement connected directly to LAN port). It is all hardwired.

Probably missing a small setting or something, drivin me nuts.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by casscarr2002:

Link does not provide solution unfortunately, I have it about 90% there it seems, my wireless devices cannot connect successfully to the AP upstairs, Galaxy note says Authentication error and a few laptops just don't connect to it. I can however connect to the AP via network to make adjustments as needed.

I am whole home wired, so the AP (in the office) does in fact run straight down stairs into the router via cat6 ethernet (AP to wall outlet down to basement connected directly to LAN port). It is all hardwired.

Probably missing a small setting or something, drivin me nuts.

In that case, you should be able to use the secondary wireless router as just an access point. The key points are that the router that is being used as an access point should have nothing connected to its WAN interface (and usually setting the WAN interface to use DHCP works for most routers, although I have on occasion had to setup the secondary router's WAN to use a private static IP subnet that is different from the LAN subnet just to keep it from continually trying to get a DHCP IP address and filling the router logs with DHCP failure entries). The router being used as an access point should have its internal DHCP server disabled, and its LAN interface should be on the same IP subnet as the primary router (and the rest of your LAN). Of course, its IP address must not be the same as the primary router, or any other device on your LAN. Needless to say, you should use the same SSID and security settings for the wireless settings in both routers.

I have done this many times with many different brands of wireless routers, and the only problems I have encountered with doing it is that a truly portable WiFi device may not have a smooth hand off when moving about the house. True access points will communicate with each other to facilitate hand offs with portable clients, but a simple WiFi router will not always have that capability.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

casscarr2002
Waterdown

L0R 2H8

NetFixer thank you. The private static IP is the solution I think that has to happen, which I really don't have the experience to do myself unfortunately and don't have the time to read up and figure it out.
The only item I cannot do is utilize the same SSID name with different channels between the routers which I have already tested. My Galaxy note for example has such top notch range in the house regardless where I am, it continually bounces from one to the other no matter where I am so the only solution was to institute 2 SSID's and channels between the routers.
Success so far really is that I can access the AP via the network, but wireless devices cannot access it successfully through to the interwebz.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by casscarr2002:

NetFixer thank you. The private static IP is the solution I think that has to happen, which I really don't have the experience to do myself unfortunately and don't have the time to read up and figure it out.
The only item I cannot do is utilize the same SSID name with different channels between the routers which I have already tested. My Galaxy note for example has such top notch range in the house regardless where I am, it continually bounces from one to the other no matter where I am so the only solution was to institute 2 SSID's and channels between the routers.
Success so far really is that I can access the AP via the network, but wireless devices cannot access it successfully through to the interwebz.

It sounds as if you may have the secondary router wired as an access point (both router LANs are connected, and the secondary router's WAN is not connected to anything), but perhaps both router's have their DHCP servers active, and the devices that are connecting to the secondary router's WiFi, are trying to use a nonexistent gateway because its DHCP server is pointing to its own WAN interface.

Maybe this FAQ might help you set things up: »Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
--

casscarr2002
Waterdown

L0R 2H8

AP LAN to Router LAN connected via ethernet. AP DHCP disabled. considering Firmware issues possibly now (AP using 1.34NA vA3, Router using 2.07NA vB1)

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
reply to casscarr2002

»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50738.0