spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DFL

@rogers.com

[Extreme] DPC3825 Firmware Update

I recently got the DPC3825 from Rogers so I could take advantage of the higher speeds and data cap. I also liked the features of the router allowing for content filtering and restrictions. About 1 day after plugging it in, it received a firmware update and removed those features. I'm REALLY unhappy paying $7 per month renting a "modem" when I was being sold on the features of a "router".
Sure I can put the router into bridge mode and go back to my previous router, but that defeats the purpose and also crowds my utility cabinet with an extra device and unsightly wires.
Between this and the CRAPPY Cisco 8642HD PVR box and Next Box 0.2 system (not a typo), I'm losing all respect for Cisco and Rogers. No wonder I pulled all Cisco product from my corporate network. Time to pull the plug at home too.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

I would think Cisco is getting fed up with Rogers also. These units, and their factory firmware, are ready out of the box for anything the Rogers Docsis 3 network has to offer.

These Rogers firmware updates seem to do nothing but reduce end user control/security and enhance Rogers access to our home networks and the private data contained within.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by elitefx:

These Rogers firmware updates seem to do nothing but reduce end user control/security and enhance Rogers access to our home networks and the private data contained within.

Rogers does not build firmware nor does Rogers alter firmware for CISCO CPE gear. Rogers does have CISCO make changes to the firmware with specific requirement's suited to the Rogers network infrastructure needs -- which modified firmware then is rolled out by Rogers. The very same applies to ALL other ISP's that may use CISCO, MOTOROLA, ETC. CPE gear.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

said by mozerd:

Rogers does not build firmware nor does Rogers alter firmware for CISCO CPE gear.

Rogers firmware updates=A firmware update released by Rogers. Just amazing how 3 simple words can create such confusion and distress.......It doesn't matter who compiles the damn things. Their adverse effects are obvious to anyone who has been a victim of these malicious scripts of code.

ArthurWinslo

@rogers.com
reply to mozerd

moznerd, Rogers does not have Cisco creating custom firmware builds for them. The builds they have been using are 1:1 identical to the builds pushed out to Comcast, Cox, Shaw, Time Warner. They get these base builds from the MSO portal that Cisco hosts for these purposes.

All of the MSOs above are provided with tools directly from Cisco to take a base build, customize the http access control and password and append their own ISP specific code verification certificate (otherwise they wouldn't be able to push upgrades to modems over the network).

I hope that clears up any confusion.