All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dflenick
join:2012-10-20
Thornhill, ON

dflenick to josh112112

to josh112112

Re: Rogers offering 80% for 2 years discount on internet...

I would caution anyone choosing the long term contract. I recently upgraded to the Next Box 2 "deal" for a 2 year term to get the discounts and additional services.
I am very disappointed with the system overall. My remote box keeps losing connection to the main PVR. My main PVR has the following problems:
- Pixelated images from live TV
- Random freezing and loss of audio from live TV
- Recording schedules randomly disappearing

Rogers techs have tested equipment and connections and say all is fine. I already have a booster in place. Any TV's not on a digital box work fine, so at least they are partially right on the connection. I say partially because there still may be signal degradation or interference with the digital signal.

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

said by dflenick:

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree

said by Hooter:

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!

I don't think that's correct. Here's how I understand the early cancellation of tv/internet/home phone to work:

An Early Cancellation Fee (ECF) applies if, for any reason, your Service is terminated prior to the end of the Service Agreement Term. Unless otherwise indicated, the ECF is $20 per month remaining in the Service Agreement Term, to a maximum of $200 (plus applicable taxes) for a 1 year term commitment, a maximum of $400 (plus applicaable taxes) for a 2 year term commitment, or a maximum of $600 (plus applicable taxes) for a 3 year term commitment, and applies to each Service that is terminated. Rogers may allow for the cancellation of your Service without any ECF if cancellation is requested within 30 days from date of activation.

The only company I've heard of following your cancellation policy is Acanac. (Which has the hilarious side-effect of having a "point of no cancel", where it's actually cheaper to continue with a service that you don't want than it is to cancel!)
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

You could be correct. I am only going by what I have been told by CSRs over the phone when I have been given a promotional discount. But obviously, whenever you are dealing with Rogers, the CSRs often tell you the wrong information. The ECF that you are describing though sounds more like what has been explained to me for a wireless plan.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

The ECF is generally $20 per remaining month for residential services. However, if the customer disagrees with the ECF, reps are allowed to charge the the discount received instead if it is lower then the $20 per remaining month model.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to dflenick

to dflenick
said by dflenick:

If you're within 30 days of the start, you may be able to cancel outright without issue.