Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to vue666

Re: Ubuntu Disk Utility and SMART info...

I gained a respect for the utility (Ubuntu 10.04).

Got a warranty replacement for a Hitachi Deskstar 2TB just a few months ago. Ubuntu Disk Utility called it all the way - exactly the same parameter.

But I didn't need a second opinion. I had several distros on it and some wouldn't mount or boot. Glad it was a 2nd drive.

There's also a parameter "Current Pending Sector Count" that better be zero or, I think, it ran out of swap sectors. Mine got to over 1000.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

From previous WD dealings they always ask for the code the WD Diags utility spits out. In this case there is no error, so I suspect WD will say there is no problem with the drive...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Just a thought. Keep watching that relocated sector count. Is it going up? Perhaps it WILL eventually hit WD's threshold. They have every reputation-saving reason to flag problems as seldom as possible.

If things are really going bad it may not take long. If it stays frozen you may be ok, too, according to WD, anyway.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to vue666

Please stop using the Ubuntu Disk Snake Dildo Butt tool. I hate how this tool actually hides very key information from you. The information you've provided is too vague/ambiguous.

Please install smartmontools version 5.43 or newer (6.0 is much preferred) and run it against your drive (smartctl -a /dev/sda for example), and provide the output here. Please enclose all the output in a [code]
block (use brackets, not less-than/greater-than) to retain formatting. You will need to run this as root / via sudo.

I can provide an analysis of your drive after seeing that output.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.