thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

97 ford crown vic, temp sensor nut blew out, epoxy repair?

hi folks, got a 97 ford crown vic thats suffered this problem »www.agcoauto.com/content ··· leid/185 after replacing the water pump on first crank the nut that holds the temp sensor blew out (it was mounted in plastic, front left of that image) headed over to advance to get a new temp sensor, and they recommended using j.b. weld. (let it sit for 3 days)

after cranking it up we had all sorts of squeals. seems the antifreeze going over the front washed the grease out of the bearings for the idler, tensioner, and a/c clutch. after replacing the pulleys and slapping in an a/c bypass (yeah i know, but cash is tight) cranked it up again. only to discover the j.b. weld had a pin hole leak.

im guessing here the j.b. stuff "shrinks" as it cures. the nut has threads. but the hole it goes in to does not. it may have had them but its smooth as silk now.

any suggestions on some sort of expanding epoxy i could use? this cars got a few other issues so i really didnt want to spend the cash on a new intake mani

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

Do yourself a favor. Get a manifold.
With a j-b weld "repair" you have not even the slightest semblance of reliability. Failure can result in a cooked engine.

1997 FORD CROWN VICTORIA 4.6L V8 : Engine : Intake Manifold Wiki Price $201.79
DORMAN Part # 615178 More Information About this Part {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Includes Gasket
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] One Piece; Designed specifically to work with Dorman OE Solutions Intake Manifold Gaskets only.

Rock Auto

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

i was afraid of that. i was hoping for a "temp fix" until i could save up the cash for the mani.. ah well. thanks for the look.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
You could look around junk yards for a 2002 manifold.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Not really worth the R&R for time, and trouble.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

Not really worth the R&R for time, and trouble.

Not every one can afford to go can get new parts. Going to the junk yard may be time consuming and you have to your hands dirty it worth the savings.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

A day off work? Searching for the part, and then travel to the yard? How much is that gonna cost?

It really would depend on the OP's circumstance.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

How about after work or on your day off, I gallon of gas compared to $50.00 extra cost. Which one is cheaper.
One poster was giving $197.00 at rock auto and the op was said he wanted a temp fix until he could save up for a new manifold. That telling me he does not have extra money on hand. A used manifold is just as good as a new one.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Not only gas but time, bro. Yank it at the yard, and then install. Still 50% more time, and you need a new gasket as well. More time to the parts place.

Maybe the OP can clue us both in what's better for him.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

24.20 if you go to the time and trouble to remove it yourself at this place. »www.wegotused.com/wp-con ··· List.pdf
Im guessing around 75 if you just stop and have them remove it.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to thedragonmas

MVM

to thedragonmas
Top it off with scavenging a part with a bad history.

If one can find the updated one pictured, maybe it is worth it.
If it is another original style, it isn't worth peanuts.

Gaskets needed obviously.

(Gaskets included with the one I listed above.)

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Exactly. If you have to do it twice...

Not to mention the expense if it pukes on the freeway.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
I should said get a 2002 model with the revised manifold. It would be like the new model but a hell a lot cheaper even with buying a gasket.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I figured it was a given that he would look for the updated version. 4.6 liters are all over the yards. Hell im thinking maybe i should go get a couple and list them on ebay. Amazing how many ford parts are fitting in the POS part category that never made recall status.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

sorry about taking so long to get back folks (been a tad busy)

called around to our local junk yards, priced both 97 and 2002, ranges where $150 (you pull it) to $250 (they pull it) for most of them, ouch :| the cheapist one i found was at a local "you pull it" $120 if you pull it. add in the gaskets ($30)

logistics though is an issue, that joints a mile from the nearest bus stop, lugging the tools over there on the bus, spending a couple hours pulling it, then riding back on the bus, considering all the parts id need to pull off of it at the junk yard, think ill just save up for a new intake mani.

thanks for the info and idea's folks. this place is all ways full of helpful folks, much appreciated