amd64now

join:2007-04-01
Orleans, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·Anveo

Rogers Hitron CGN2-ROG

I just replaced my SMC with the Hitron modem. I logged in and disabled wireless and then disabled gateway and upnp service. Got the warning and hit apply. Upon reboot, I still notice the wireless light is on. Can anyone else confirm the light is on even in bridge mode?. Just want to make sure wireless is not open for everyone to use.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

Hmm.. I can't answer that question specifically. I have a Cisco DPC3825 where I disabled the wireless capabilities and the wireless light stays off. Just yesterday, I experienced a power outage and the wireless light came on when power was restored. Logged into the web admin and it said the wireless was disabled. I also launched this app on my phone which scans all the Wifi networks in the area and it showed the gateway was definitely broadcasting the wireless network, but none of my devices could connect to it. I had to log into the web admin, enable the wireless and disable it again to get the light to turn off and the modem to stop broadcasting wirelessly.

I'd also swap the Hitron for a Cisco as well if you're not using the wireless. They both have the same modem capabilities, and the Cisco one is a $1 per month cheaper. I know the difference is nominal but the money is better in your pocket then in Rogers pockets.

amd64now

Orleans, ON

I purchased the modem so the Cisco would not save me money. Hopefully someone with the same modem can comment about the wireless. I used insider and didnt seem to see anything open, however, its strange.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

When the HITRON in put into BRIDGE Mode the wireless radio gets disabled along with all Router functions and sub-functions.

If you cannot find the option for BRIDGE mode Call Rogers Technological support and they will be happy to put the Hitron into BRIDGE mode for you.

amd64now

Orleans, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·Anveo

I was able to put in bridge mode under "status" and the last tab. Before I put in bridge mode, I disabled wireless. Then I went and disabled "gateway" and "upnp" . I did call to confirm with Rogers and they say its in bridge. The wireless light is still on. I dont see a broadcast from insider. Just wondering if this light is on for others even though its disabled and in bridge mode.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Quite frankly I do not remember if the wireless LED was on or off after I placed the Hitron in bridge mode for my client. But I do know that in bridge mode the wireless radio does not transmit.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to amd64now

said by amd64now:

Just want to make sure wireless is not open for everyone to use.

Apparently, if you enter the "System Info Screen" the WIFI status is clearly indicated.

»www.westmancom.com/fileadmin/con···tron.pdf

amd64now

Orleans, ON

Can you get into the modem while in bridge to check this?. Or it has to go back to gateway mode to see this?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by amd64now:

Can you get into the modem while in bridge to check this?. Or it has to go back to gateway mode to see this?

It's all in the userguide. Read it thoroughly. Quote: Log in. The system info screen displays.

amd64now

Orleans, ON

Didn't find a way to log in while in bridge mode in the manual. Would have to go back to gateway mode. However, this morning the wireless light is off on the modem. Must have been a update pushed which also corrects the problem.