how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

twoodward

join:2005-03-18
Onalaska, WI

[HSI] $20 One Time to Own Router?

I chatted with a billing agent from Charter about a pricing issue and I was still being charged a base price for high speed at $34.99/mo with a $9.99 add on for 30/4.

The agent on the other end said she could move me to the new pricing at $49.99/mo and I would pay $20 one time fee to own the router. However and I asked more than once about this that I have a router/modem combo which is a Motorola SBG6580 and she said I would own this. I did it and now wondering if this is true or not. Anyone else know? Is the SBG6580 really mine now?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
I would take it with a grain of salt. They are not going to give an expensive piece of equipment at a fire sale price. Ask in Direct forum or call asking for a supervisor.

twoodward

Onalaska, WI
That's what I thought after thinking about it for a bit. It cost about $150 at my local Walmart or Target. I'll ask in direct forum. I don't want to be charged $20 for something that isn't so.

krommulent

join:2010-04-07
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to twoodward
if you are presently paying for wireless you are eligible for the 20 router. thereis a 20 dollar "install" fee and you own it. if you are not a preexisting charter wireless sub you do not qualify for the router. they did this to appease the people that changed to new pricing and would then have to buy a router. they will replace the 6580 with a modem and sell you a stand alone router. the 6580 will be returned to inventory. the netgears that we are issuing are very nice and would recommend making the change.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to twoodward
How in the world did you get suckered into paying for wireless, if that's the case, which it sounds like from your post and krommulent's reply?

A $20 one time fee to own the modem, which IS essentially free now a days with Charters new, stupid, setup? I think Charter is getting dumber by the day!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to twoodward
It's only offered to customers who are on the "old" pricing plan. They're not selling any NEW wireless devices for the home, so by selling you the device, they no longer have to cover the equipment.

So, sure, you DO get a Docsis 3 wireless device for 20 bucks, but if it breaks...well, then you're out $20.

twoodward

Onalaska, WI
reply to twoodward
I talked with a Charter Direct rep who set things straight. Sadly, it is not mine. lol. But they have reversed the charge and I can continue to use this modem/router without an extra charge.

Down the road probably in the next month or so I am planning on getting my own router with supports DD-WRT and I can return this one for a regular Doc 3 modem.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Yep,
Typical Charter. Going to charge you $20 for some device and say it's yours, when it's not, but not going to offer the refund freely unless you investigate further!
--
The Firefox alternative.

Orth

@charter.com
reply to twoodward
Actually, call back into customer service, that is incorrect. Because Charter halted the leasing of wifi equipment, to those who have been grandfathered into the new pricing structures, Charter is offering a $20 Netgear router for sale that a tech will come out and install so the SBG6580 is actually not yours since it's a converged modem/router combo and you're leasing the modem from Charter. If you call into customer support, an appointment can be setup to get you the $20 netgear router that is being sold.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
Good Grief!!

Is it me or is this situation outrageously confusing?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Exactly why i thought it sounded like OP was talking in circles!! Actually, that was another topic I said that in, but still..................

Had/has me all confuzzed!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to twoodward
The charter tech who visited me today pulled out a NETGEAR WNDR3800 wireless router and was telling me about the $20.

This was just a router. it wasn't a router/modem......

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
Wow! I think I paid $120 for mine! Anyone offered that deal should snap it up!!!

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to twoodward
****************CLARIFICATION********************

Re: [HSI/Other] Charter selling Netgear Wireless router for $20
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your question.I'm very sorry for the confusion this may have created but the one time fee of $20 for the router only applies to customers who currently have our home networking service and we are needing to replace the device. In our new pricing structure we no longer support customer owned modems and are placing our equipment in the home now. We offer the router as a low cost option to our home networking device as we no longer offer that service.

Can I help with any other questions?

Steve

So, its ONLY if you had their wireless service prior to the new plans and pricing.

I didn't think the tech today knew what he was talking about.....