spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

[INTERNET] Cogeco guy put a splitter modem 1 Mbps now

So the Cogeco guy put a slitter on the modem so he could connect the digital tv to it too. Now I am getting 1 Mbps on a 14 Mbps service. Does this usually happen because I definitely did not want a 13 Mbps drop in speed. Now one warned me about this.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

I_H8_Spam

Could be a couple things.

Bad splitter? Loose coax? Low SNR or other noise on the line, how are the lower analog channels (2-6) appearing? Try doing a reset on the modem, it's possible the connected QAM channels need to be changed; something a reset will do.

I'd call Cogeco for a fix, if they give you any grief then look at a TPIA like Start who you can transfer to for free.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by I_H8_Spam:

I'd call Cogeco for a fix, if they give you any grief

Why would they give him grief? Guy was there, put a splitter on the line, now his service is like 92% worse... I don't see why that's going to be an issue.

Like you say, makes sense to call.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to tristen1230

to tristen1230
Modem should have no more than one split off the tap. In other words he should have fed back for the tv or split somewhere else.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Modem should have no more than one split off the tap. In other words he should have fed back for the tv or split somewhere else.

Yeah, any time I've had Cogeco internet there was a home run right from the tap into the modem, no splits, always.

I'd be calling to have this corrected, for sure.

Mike
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dillyhammer:

Yeah, any time I've had Cogeco internet there was a home run right from the tap into the modem, no splits, always.

Ideally a feed back to the tap but may instances this would require a second drop into the house so SOP is first tap on prem.
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to tristen1230

to tristen1230
Did you call Cogeco and ask them before posting your question?

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

shwing

said by MrPink:

Did you call Cogeco and ask them before posting your question?

I ALWAYS check/ask here first...before spending 45 minutes on the phone..

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

The mere fact the installer put a splitter in the room where you already have the modem raises questions.

The internet should always be Cable DROP (service line) to 2 Way Spliiter. One leg of the two way splitter to the modem, and the other to another 2 way, or 3 way, or 4 way, etc to feed the TVs. The inet should always be off the first splitter.

Sounds to me like the tech was lazy and not following spec. Should definitively call Cogeco to have it corrected.