how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

[Parts Check] HDMI Video Card

I have a motherboard with PCI Express X16 low profile slot that has very basic onboard audio and video... only VGA and standard 3.5 audio connections, no SPDIF headers, outputs, optical, nothing.

I want to connect the computer to a HDTV with HDMI, but I've read that some cards require a SPDIF header from the motherboard for audio to be passed through to HDMI, but at the same time I heard that is not the case.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···cs-Cards

This card, would it have an intergrated sound chip for HDMI so I wouldn't need SPDIF?

Thanks in advance

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
I too have heard both but never seen a "definitive" answer. I can tell you, I haven't had to use an SPDIF header cable for an HDMI card in my HTPC. This was with a GTS 450 though but I can't imagine it's that much different in terms of how it sources it's audio.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to MineCoast
If the card has a HDMI out, it "should" pass audio as well as HD video, YMMV but every one I have does, (four cards with HDMI, all Radeon. Audio works great on 'em all) for what that's worth.
Good luck!
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to MineCoast
The AMD/ ATI cards "HD" seem to work and it suggests chipsets for helping sound.
Nvidia you will have to study more. It seems the lower end Nvidia's might not do too good on this point.

It all seems to boil down to the drivers available too, which points to hardware available on the graphics card - looking up drivers for specific cards may help initially, then it's down to how good the drivers are themselves.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast
Thanks guys.

I decided to go with an ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB Card This should hopefully completely my HTPC.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Nice card. My 5570 has its own audio chip. It's listed as "AMD High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to MineCoast
Yeah, most, if not all of the newer cards should be able to generate an audio signal themselves. I haven't seen a SPDIF passthrough on one in a while. Of the three cards I have with an HDMI output, none of them need a passthrough.
--
KI6RIT

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to HarryH3
Click for full size
Device Manager
said by HarryH3:

Nice card. My 5570 has its own audio chip. It's listed as "AMD High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager.

Sounds right. And on the nVidia side of things, the device is called "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" and is a feature you can enable/disable when installing nVidia's drivers. Screenshot attached.

For the driver feature itself, see this screenshot (please ignore "Step 2" -- irrelevant to discussion), note the thing called "HD Audio Driver": »www.studio1productions.com/Artic···er-2.jpg
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to MineCoast
Excellent. Thanks for confirming I can't wait to finish getting this HTPC setup. My next task is trying to figure out which OS to use. Currently the system has Windows Media Center 2005 (XP) but once it's up to 4 GB's ram and a dual core CPU, most likely will throw Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it with XBMC or whatever it's called.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
I've been itching to set up XBMC and haven't got around to it quite yet. Asked a question on Foxtel decoding to save good quality shows and thought it would come into effect in the project, but I had no responses. Guess I'm overstepping the mark.

Have you thought of Linux instead of Windows for the media center?
I'm just wondering if I go this path at some stage, I'd prefer the added security of Linux, however I'm not a programmer, let alone BYO drivers, and I've heard mixed reports on Linux compatible drivers.

Hope this isn't too off topic.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to MineCoast
For ATI Radeon card, after installation, in "Speaker Properties/Advanced", be sure to uncheck both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", and " Give exclusive mode applications priority". Otherwise, every time you start the computer, and try to play any media, you will get a pop-up asking you to select an audio device.

This will avoid that annoying situation.

EDIT: Applies to W7 OS.
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

MineCoast
Premium
reply to norwegian
Linux is a great and powerful OS. As for security, I'm not at all concerned about the security of a HTPC as it would only be used for streaming and such, nothing personal would be stored on the HTPC. In fact, it only has a 80 GB HDD. I actually would like to store/stream all my media from my server which has 4 TB disk space, but the server is located in a data center 900+ miles away. The data connection between both locations isn't an issue, but I haven't figured out how to do a site-to-site VPN solution that gets more than 15 MBit's of bandwidth and I'm not about to spend $300+ for some Cisco ASA's for a hobby. I'd rather do a software solution but until I find that solution, all my media is stored locally on my desktop and just map the drive on my HTPC.

Going back to linux, I really wish I liked linux and I really wish I knew it better than I do, but for the of me, I can't "like" linux. I'm far from a Windows "fanboi" but, I know their products inside and out and it's all natural to me. I used to use Windows phones, I use Windows on all my computers, I also use Windows as my server and for web hosting and prefer ASP/NET over PHP, and I use Microsoft Exchange for my personal e-mail. The only "linux" device I have is my android phone but even then, I don't root it or hack it, just use it as is. I use Hyper-V and ISA (ForeFront) for routing as well and funds allowed it, I'd replace my router with a small atom system with Windows Server and ForeFront on it

So, I'll be sticking to Windows. I might not use Media Center, but the OS will be linux with perhaps a different "Media Center" running on top of it.