how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizziwig

@verizon.net
reply to robertf390_t

Re: [HD] Cartoon Network HD Ch 757

I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by wizziwig :

I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

luckily the motorola cable boxes do not support 1280x1080i. Also Verizon would be converting to MPEG4 well before that would even be considered.

I would think Verizon could add MPEG2 HD channels for now and in the future start converting the Premium HD multiplexes to MPEG4 one at time over period of time like a year so to allow for verizon to give out all of the boxes needed to do this.

The premium channels going MPEG4 would be the best bet and they could compress them to 5:1 to a QAM or 6:1 to a QAM as I have heard that the premium multiplexes are sending out 6Mbps so that they can be repackaged into 3:1 QAMs after transcoding.

wizziwig

@verizon.net

Well, here in VHO3 at least, all the channels I actually care about (maybe 7 at best) are still sent 2 per QAM channel. In fact, the majority of other popular channels which were not already MPEG4 conversions, also appear as 2 per QAM. Let's hope it stays that way.

FIOS should be about best-possible-picture-quality, not quantity. If anyone wants lots of over-compressed, pixelated, HD channels, they are free to switch to cable/satellite.

Best way to free up space without sacrificing picture is to upgrade everyone to MPEG4 capable STB's and pass native MPEG4 channels as 3+ per QAM instead of converting them to MPEG2.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by wizziwig :

Best way to free up space without sacrificing picture is to upgrade everyone to MPEG4 capable STB's and pass native MPEG4 channels as 3+ per QAM instead of converting them to MPEG2.

Agreed. Unfortunately, VZ is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

VZ is pricing their product at a premium because they think they have a better product, but they don't want to spend the money to replace the older 6xxx and 2500 boxes. It's also not clear that they have a solution for the DCT-700s.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.