spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iamloco724
join:2008-03-16
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

question about hole verizon drilled

i just had ethernet run and they had to drill a hole in my room to run it through from outside

on my original install they did this to cover the hole

on this install i noticed after they left they didnt do anything so right now i have clear tape over the area to keep air and bugs out

what can i do to sort of seal this up..any products like the one in the pic that they had originally used or any other ideas besides tape that will probably eventually fall off

dont know if the links embed here are good so here is direct links

what they did now »imageshack.us/a/img442/9 ··· 7594.jpg

and what they did last time »imageshack.us/a/img507/8 ··· 8666.jpg

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

You can pick up a tub or a tube of spackle at a Home Depot or a local hardware store.

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· rFm-HIfU
iamloco724
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

said by Pathfinder5:

You can pick up a tub or a tube of spackle at a Home Depot or a local hardware store.

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· rFm-HIfU

my concern with that was 1. getting it on the ethernet cable... and 2. god forbid verizon has to come back in and replace something with it down the line and the cable doesnt come out cause of the spackle

or should i not be concerned about these things?

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to iamloco724

to iamloco724
That's shocking to me. On my first Fios install, way back in 2005 IIRC, the hole was filled with silicone, and the inside got a nice jack mounted over the hole. On my second install, several cables were pulled through one hole, and I didn't get any jacks or covers, but again it was filled with silicone. I'd have thought that was standard. Tape? Seriously?

Your "original install" pic looks like what the DirecTV installers did at my old house, although that's a complicated story...

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to iamloco724

to iamloco724
Frankly I would ask (threaten) them to come back. Not sure why you signed the install looking like like a 5 year old kids homework job
iamloco724
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

i dont know if i was cllear but the tape was my doing cause i didnt notice until after that it was left like that i was just happy that everything was working and they were out

i didnt check that area cause i assumed it would be fine i had no reason to believe they wouldnt professionally do something about it might be my nieve thinking but whats done is done

if you see i posted in my other thread that this guy didnt even want to run the ethernet he was trying to convince me to downgrade so he didnt have to and by the end of it it was 2 guys here instead of the one

plus i have to restaple down the ethernet in my room cause its done very sloppy and not smart where and how it was tact down

i dont feel like having to wait for one of there guys to come back here to fix this hole plus take off work for that

so im trying to find a more perminant solution then tape to do my self

if i could use spackle and not be concerned like i said in my previous post i will do that if theres nothing else i can buy so please advise

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner

Use Silicone - Spackle will break down much sooner - Silicone should keep you in the clear for 10+ years...

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to iamloco724

Premium Member

to iamloco724
OFFTOPIC Man, your room must be messy :P
iamloco724
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

said by Tokidoki:

OFFTOPIC Man, your room must be messy :P

not really why do you say that

the yellow area is dirty cause we are fixing some things up and the white area is not my room its basement area

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to iamloco724

MVM

to iamloco724
Much more important is to look to see if the wire coming through is sealed on the outside. Use silicone caulk, $5 for a squeeze tube. Make sure to apply when the weather is dry. You can use the same stuff on the inside, or spackle, as was suggested previously. The spackle will accept the paint when you paint the room. Silicone doesn't paint over so well.

Neither material will affect the outer jacket of the wire.

I wouldn't worry about pulling the sealant out if they remove the wire for some reason later. That's not likely. If you pull the wire through after the materials have cured, you'll end up with a hole you can seal up again.

As far as whether the installer should have done a more professional job, from your comments about the install, the first guy was not very professional, the second guy may have been more so, but was covering for his buddy.

It's up to you how you want to solve the problem, but if it was me, I'd just fix it myself. You're already fixing up that room. When all is said and done, a new coat of paint and fixing up the wiring rat's nest will improve the entire room.
iamloco724
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

if i want to redo there tacking job what do i get for that..staple gun i have is very tight and dont want to accidentally damage the ethernet

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to iamloco724

Premium Member

to iamloco724
Silicone caulk at Lowes Depot. About $7.

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to iamloco724

MVM

to iamloco724
Lowe's or Depot for a package of staples hand applied with a hammer. Select staple sized to the wire. Avoid hitting the wire, hit the staple. Use pliers to help stabilize the staple while hammering. It keeps your fingers out of the way.

It is possible to locate a staple gun specifically for that wire, but it's pricier.
iamloco724
Brooklyn, NY

iamloco724

i can basically get this for free would this one be good..looks like it would be

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER

worth it for the few bucks i would have to spend on it since i might need it soon for another project with ethernet

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

go to »www.homedepot.com and enter a search for cat5 staples. Pick the blue ones. Easy fix, easy install.
birdfeedr

birdfeedr to iamloco724

MVM

to iamloco724
does have good ratings by folks who sound like they know what they're doing.
tvdrew
join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC

tvdrew to iamloco724

to iamloco724
It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but the best thing for wires that you may need to remove/modify is the moldable putty like the type used for service entrance cables.

Here's one type: »www.clrtec.com/index.php ··· _id=1810

You mold it around the hole, but can pull it off if you need to run another wire.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

On my install they used silicone to clog the hole and even left a tube with me incase I needed to drill any other holes since I was installing other TV's.