spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dillinja
join:2011-10-01
UK

Dillinja

Playing WoW at work question....

Just a quick question, if I got a laptop with wow installed on it and brought it to work, plugged in the ethernet cable to a port to grind etc whilst on my lunch would it work?

We are websensed for gaming websites here, so would that also block wow from connecting to the internet?

quatra
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Matthews, NC

1 recommendation

quatra

Premium Member

If I were a betting man I'd say it will work. It doesn't sound like a wise choice though.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Dillinja

Premium Member

to Dillinja
Not sure if the specific ports would be blocked but there is a high possibility that you would face the wrath of someone in the IT department if and when they saw the traffic or someone saw and reported your actions using the company's network for personal reasons. That being said, if you work at a place that really couldn't give two shits about it or you actually work in the IT department, would anyone really care?
Dillinja
UK

Dillinja

Thanks guys - do you know if 3G dongles are any good for wow?, only want to grind mats etc.....

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

You'll have horrible lag using a 3G card. You might even get frequent disconnects in high pop areas in the game. 4G wouldn't be too terrible.
Dillinja
UK

Dillinja

4G is not yet ready here in the UK lol

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

It's not all that 'ready' here in the States either. lol

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

You'll have horrible lag using a 3G card. You might even get frequent disconnects in high pop areas in the game. 4G wouldn't be too terrible.

I remember tethering with my 3G Droid X from the barracks and having no issue with it at all. Ping was usually between 125ms and 200ms. Not bad for PVE at all.
Dillinja
UK

Dillinja

so you think if I can get a decent dongle with good data allowance it should be ok? (3G)

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

said by Dillinja:

so you think if I can get a decent dongle...

Dude, this is a public forum. Please keep the sexual innuendos to a minimum.
Dillinja
UK

Dillinja

lol
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Dillinja

Premium Member

to Dillinja
Yeah a 3G connection (or even a nearby open wifi if you can find one) would likely be OK. Only way to really know is to try it. Got a smartphone that can tether to test with or even use permanently?

As for using it at work, if you go the 3G/wifi route you should be OK. You're presumably only doing it during time off and using your own device do it with. Your only concern would be if your company has restrictions on personal devices.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Dillinja

to Dillinja
I play tethered to my iPhone on 3G when I'm at work...I'm playing right now, as a matter of fact.

I'm getting ~200-300ms latency with 3-4 bars of reception, and I'm streaming Pandora.

I've done 5/8H Dragon Soul from work with little to no issue...Ventrilo causes some lag spikes on occasion, but other than that it's not too bad of a setup...better than nothing, at least.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

1 recommendation

Omega to Dillinja

Premium Member

to Dillinja
Any good company network will be a closed network. As in it won't accept random MAC addresses unless it has been put on a master list. For example, when I was in college and worked in IT as a student, I wanted my laptop to be plugged into the wired academic network (far superior to the student wireless). I had to give my boss my mac address info and he entered it into a list. If your work isn't like this, then your network admins are terrible.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to McBrain

to McBrain
What's your data usage like? I only have 1 gig.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Omega

to Omega
said by Omega:

Any good company network will be a closed network. As in it won't accept random MAC addresses unless it has been put on a master list. For example, when I was in college and worked in IT as a student, I wanted my laptop to be plugged into the wired academic network (far superior to the student wireless). I had to give my boss my mac address info and he entered it into a list. If your work isn't like this, then your network admins are terrible.

So, if a network isn't managed like the network in your example, those who administrate it are terrible? In this day and age there are tons of networks based on the open, but secure model. This will only increase, not decrease.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Lothario

to Lothario
I have a 5 gig plan, but I could legitimately get by with 1, if I didn't surf the net or send pictures texts, etc. WoW uses very little data, if you played every day for like 5-6 hours at a time, you might use up that 1 gig.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I agree, it depends on the environment. I can certainly see the advantages to MAC authentication to all ports but not every network needs it. Hell, I don't even run managed switches in my work network so I couldn't even do MAC authentication easily.
Sprakk
join:2009-10-01

Sprakk to Dillinja

to Dillinja
3G works okay, as long as you have a decent/stable 3G connection, ie. not one that floats around the 10% mark.

The only thing with 3G is that you may get the random disconnect or lag spike.

As long as you aren't raiding and you're just grinding/farming/etc, you should be okay.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

said by Omega:

So, if a network isn't managed like the network in your example, those who administrate it are terrible? In this day and age there are tons of networks based on the open, but secure model. This will only increase, not decrease.

If the network is secure in another way, then that is fine. To me it sounds like the OP's network will allow him to plug any device into an Ethernet port, and allow it to connect to the internet and run applications on that network without any type security. That is a bad network.

Also keep in mind that I am referring to a corporate network. If a company or institution runs a parallel network that is designed to allow open internet access, then that works too.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl to Dillinja

Premium Member

to Dillinja
I would check with your boss on whether there are issues with your doing what you're planning on doing. If they have no issues with it then take it to the IT Department regarding access.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Dillinja

to Dillinja
Most companies are pretty strict about what you can connect to the company network. Personal equipment is often prohibited. This is slowly changing with so many portable devices out but for now open access is the exception rather than the rule.

Some companies will provide an open access wireless for this purpose though. Usually a sign up page where you either sign up for access or agree to certain rules before being granted access.

If web browsing is being blocked to some sites you can bet the network is locked down as well port wise.

Some companies do permit web browsing and gaming, movie watching, social sites, etc. as long as you get your work done. (HP where I work in particular as one example- though they do block ports).

Just check the IT policy or with your management.

If you're willing to risk the wrath of IT and management there are ways to get around port and web blocking. Tunneling software and proxies for instance.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
said by Omega:

Many schools actually use that as a bluff.

and you can actually just connect but such is frowned upon strongly.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I used to do it in Okinawa when I was on overnight duty in the Naval Health Clinic.

Curious12
join:2012-10-01
Newport News, VA

Curious12 to Dillinja

to Dillinja
I would not risk connecting to the port at your company man.Remember real money(job) > fake money(farmed mats)

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by Omega:

Any good company network will be a closed network...If your work isn't like this, then your network admins are terrible.

Or your company has better things to do with its money. This is great for a small network, but a full time job for any network of a decent size. I support over four hunderd machines that are replaced everything three years. The up keep on a MAC address list wouldn't be worth the trouble. That doesn't factor in visitors from other sites, I work for a global company.

Using a proxy handles most of the web based problems. But, if you're websensed then I highly doubt you'll be able to log in, which will prevent you from playing. This is how the college I go to handles it. If you're using a proxy I doubt this will work since you will have to go through the proxy.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Exactly, I won't want to be stuck maintaining a list of allowed Mac's

I could see the military doing it because a good salesman sold them on it (heck Nasa requires a completely separate switch for things that a vlan would cover because at some point someone made an outdated claim about vlans)

These days I'd expect them to move to a cert based method instead of mac based.
Dillinja
UK

Dillinja

Thanks guys for all your replies, some really interesting points.

Basically we are websensed from all gaming websites so I'm guessing ports will be blocked also....

I was looking at a 3G dongle from 3 network (UK based) 21mb speed and 15gb data allowance, do you think this will be enough for 48-50 hours of wow a month?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It likely would be enough

I think of wow's data usage like a DB program, lots of very small packets.

as opposed to a fileserver, few really big packets.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to Dillinja

Premium Member

to Dillinja
said by Dillinja:

Basically we are websensed from all gaming websites so I'm guessing ports will be blocked also....

I was looking at a 3G dongle from 3 network (UK based) 21mb speed and 15gb data allowance, do you think this will be enough for 48-50 hours of wow a month?

The wisdom of doing something like that is questionable.